sweet potato

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

purrfect

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone know if sweet potato roots are poisonous? I put it :) float on the tank surface if not.

May I assume that you are growing this sweet potato plant emersed? AFAIK the sweet potato is not at all poisonous but you might want to find a way to contain the roots - like I have seen people rooting terrestrial plants in their HOB power filters. Not my "thing" but I have seen it done.

Just like malkore- I have no idea y you would want to put sweet potatoe roots in your tank.

I don't know about the roots, but I have sweet potatoes growing around my house and from what I've seen don't left the potatoe part of the plant- were it stores it's energy/ food- get wet- don't put it in the water. Maybe a little wet but if it's damp all the time or wet/submersed it will start to rot/grow fungus.

I would put sweet potato there to have plants in the tank. (And also to have houseplants in the house). Aren't they good for the aquarium system? I have put there two small spiderplants, too. The green part is above the water and roots will grow under the water. I have heard that those spiderplants would grow totally under water, too. I have just a few big rocks in the bottom of the tank, no sand nor gravel. I'll probably get on the bottom a few potted plants as well. I have a bio-wheel, but why to put anything there? Does this make any sense? :lol:

One of the more common plants to do this with is the common philodendron. You can also grow bamboo in this way.

I don't think sweet potatoes will grow submerged. stick to bamboo, the philodendron...or just buy some actual aquatic plants.

I'm growing a sweet potato in my overflow box and it is looking good. I've started to take the larger slips off and I'm putting them in the refugium. I'm wondering if they can survive submerged. The snails and crayfish like the dying leaves. Has anyone tried this?

attachment.php

If people eat the roots, me for example, I think the smaller roots would be fine.

People grow sweet potato with toothpicks inserted and holding the sweet potato with about 1/4-1/3 of the potato in a jar of water so the Potato will grow roots. That is fine. You would want to get an Organic one and gently scrub it so that the chemicals the producers use to inhibit root growth. pest etc, would not be on them in your tank.

Contact BBradbury here about a bunch of houseplants he uses in his aquariums for the roots filter out Nitrates and stuff helping to clean the water.

My favorite is the houseplant Arrowhead plant Syngonium podophyllum
60074-albums12102-picture54575.jpg

Back
Top Bottom