Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-29-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Swiss Chard for feeding fish

I grow Swiss Chard & have for a long time. About a year ago, I read about feeding zucchini to my fish. Of course they loved it. Then I tried swiss chard. I took a medium size leaf, leaving some stem on to put in the clip, blanched it, then clipped inside tank. The rainbow shark and plecos in one tank went crazy for it. The plecos latches on and makes holes in the leaf while the shark nibbles and tears off pieces on the edge! It's easy to grow, good to eat & fun to feed the fish.

Unfortunately, all my chard plants bolted this year (went to seed), and I have to start over, but before it was all gone, I blanched lots of it, put in a food processor & made little nickle size balls then froze them separately on cookie sheet and bagged. Now I just have to pull out one of two & drop in the tank frozen. Soon, they sink to bottom & fish feed.

What I want to know is how often should I give veggies to the fish? And I have one tank with only one plecos. How to I make sure he (she) is getting enought nutrients?

Thanks.

Tags
feed, feeding, fish, plecos

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com