Switch Photo-period to reduce Temp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vega

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My Setup:-

~123 liter (32 gal)
-Fluval canister filter + Hagen surface skimmer
-Presurise CO2
-1x18W FL (Glo-light)
-2x36 PL (Osram)(1 is off at moment to test the Temp reduction)
-Heavily planted

Due to the high temp of my tank (29-31C) i am having difficuties in kepting a optimum plant friendly environment.

I am thinking of switch the photo period from day to night so during the day all light and CO2 is off, and during night (cooler evironment) the light and CO2 is switch on. I am hoping the switching may help to reduce the temp.

Anyone practicing this, do you notice the temp different lots?

Btw, adding chiller and fan is out of question (not willing to spend $$ for owning and running chiller and hate evapouration :) :) :) )...

cheers.

Seems like your unwilling to do one of the easiest things and thats to add a small fan. Do you have something covering the tank now like a glass lid? If so remove the lid and this might help enough.

Im no plant guy but I have to think a reverse photo period while it might do what you want and keep the tank cool your plants arent truly getting a nonphoto period in the day as there will inevetablly be light in the room from windows. Its my basic understanding of plants that they need periods where they have no light or very little light so as to consume the energy collected over the photo period.

There is no glass at all.

sign.... guess i am sticking to high temp for moment...

I guess it could work if you could black out the tank during the day. Covering it with something or blacking out a window. May become a hassle over time.

Back
Top Bottom