switched to sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noobaquarists

Aquarium Advice Freak
so i finally made the switch from that boring old blue gravel to play sand in my 30g today anyone know how long it will take roughly for everything to settle? right now my fish and plants are in a cooler

Attachments

• cloudy tank.jpg
    cloudy tank.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 83
Wow.... That's cloudy. I've never done sand so... I hope you get some answers too.

noobaquarists said:
so i finally made the switch from that boring old blue gravel to play sand in my 30g today anyone know how long it will take roughly for everything to settle? right now my fish and plants are in a cooler

What kinda filter is on it? U need a piece of pantyhose on the intake so it wont damage ur impellers!!!!

That is very cloudy :/ My PFS took about 30 minutes to settle and while play sand is a bit finer it shouldn't take that much longer I wouldn't have thought.

Did you wash the sand before putting it in?

What kinda filter is on it? U need a piece of pantyhose on the intake so it wont damage ur impellers!!!!

i have two hob filters ones a dual the other is a single and i cut a sponge filtre from a cannister filter to fit over the intake nozzles and wrapped them in pantyhose

noobaquarists said:
i have two hob filters ones a dual the other is a single and i cut a sponge filtre from a cannister filter to fit over the intake nozzles and wrapped them in pantyhose

Alot have messed their filters up with sand like that.

i think im going to have to leave my fish and plants in the cooler overnight
am i going to b able to put my small corner filter back in? its one of those small 4 in square submersible ones that run off an air hose

noobaquarists said:
only reason i need it is beacause my airpump has two outputs and i only use one of them for an airstone bar and cant run the pump with one slot open without losing pressure

U can buy one of those air diffusers and just cut that one off. I've got one like that

noobaquarists said:
yea but after buying the sand today and buying groceries and paying off bills im now broke till the end of the month

Right there with ya on that one. What kinda sand did u buy? Is it white?

Back
Top Bottom