Switching filter media?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zach_1_6

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 65 gallon planted tank, with a top-fin 60 HOB, and a marine-land magnum 220 canister filter. The media (well sponge part) inside the canister filter is falling apart and I need to replace it, what is the best way to do so, and not send me through a mini cycle if possible? I was thinking just shoving the old filter pad into the HOB and let the new filter pad gain BB, and then slowly remove pieces of the old one in the HOB. Would that be a good route to go?

Idk about canisters so I'm taking a guess and say that I think the sponge is like a bio wheel it holds all of your bb so I would do it the way your thinking unless your LFS sales live BB

You could either add the filter media from the canister to the HOB or you can try and sandwich a new piece of filter media on top of the portion that is falling apart, leave it there for about 3-4 weeks or so and then you should be able to remove the old portion without worry.

zach_1_6 said:
I have a 65 gallon planted tank, with a top-fin 60 HOB, and a marine-land magnum 220 canister filter. The media (well sponge part) inside the canister filter is falling apart and I need to replace it, what is the best way to do so, and not send me through a mini cycle if possible? I was thinking just shoving the old filter pad into the HOB and let the new filter pad gain BB, and then slowly remove pieces of the old one in the HOB. Would that be a good route to go?

I have two canister filters, a JEBO 838 and a RENA Xp4... When the pads or sponges get too old, they became also thiner.... So I just add the replacement or new "on top" of the old one... The tray normally can hold both... And I will leave both for at least a month, then I throw away the old "falling apart" pad...

Just an idea.

ejaramillo01 said:
I have two canister filters, a JEBO 838 and a RENA Xp4... When the pads or sponges get too old, they became also thiner.... So I just add the replacement or new "on top" of the old one... The tray normally can hold both... And I will leave both for at least a month, then I throw away the old "falling apart" pad...

Just an idea.

Very good idea, thanks I think I will try it that way.

Back
Top Bottom