Switching filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vacuumlad

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi,

I was wondering if I could switch filters in my 10 gallon tank. I have an aqua tech 5-15 HOB filter running right now and I want to switch to an aqua clear mini HOB filter. So I was wondering what's the best way to switch filters with out starting a mini cycle. I also only have room for one filter running at a time. Thanks ahead of time.

Also what's the best and cheapest bio media for the aquaclear, and I don't have plastic pot scrubbers at any dollar stores near me. I was thinking some aquarium gravel in a media bag.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I would go with the AquaClear 20, rather than the Mini. I haven't heard good feedback about the latter. The AQ filters come with porous ceramic biomedia and it works nicely.

If your tank is old enough (3+ months), you probably have a decent amount of BB on your substrate, rocks, bogwood, decorations, etc. I would go ahead and set up the AQ filter and, instead of putting the charcoal media into the AQ, place the media from your old filter into that spot.

That said, check your ammonia and nitrites daily. If one of the other is present, add Prime and do a 50% WC. Repeat until you're ammonia- and nitrite-free.

You can simply take the media from the one filter and put it into the new one. Should not br any cycle at all if you do that.

Media can be a number of things. Sponge is good, can be cut to fit, and can last for years. The best kind is the kind made for filters. Aqua Clear sponges are terrific and last for many, many years. If you go for ordinary sponges, you may find they don't last nearly so well. But try to find sponge with a coarser texture, as very fine textured sponge will clog fast and need cleaning more often.

Lava rock in small pieces makes very good biomedia too, as good as many ceramic bio media. And you can buy the ceramic type biomedia online too, pretty much all media can be bought online if you don't have handy stores. Even perlite, the kind used for plants, would work, though it's so light, you'd have to make sure it was tightly tied in a mesh bag and underneath some other heavier layer to prevent it from floating. It has a vast surface area too.. but it does float, given any chance to do so.

Filter floss is terrific stuff too. You can use poly quilt batting or pillow stuffing instead, so long as it does not have fire retardant or mildew resistant treatment on it. Check labels, which should say if the stuffing has been treated. Fabric stores are a good place to look if you can. It can last for a surprisingly long time. I don't change mine until it is falling into shreds, and then only replace half of it at one time. It will turn grey, but that's ok, it still works fine.

You can also use those green scrub pads for non stick cookware. Don't need a dollar store, any place selling cleaning supplies would have them. Just be sure it does not say on the package 'not for aquarium use'.. as if it does, chances are it's been treated with something to prevent mildew.

I don't think I'd use gravel, it's just not as good as lava rock or genuine bio media is. That's because it's solid and does not have nearly so much surface area to offer for bacteria to colonize. Sponge would work better than gravel.

If you can only get floss, using that alone would work too, though you would have to replace some of it every so often. It does have a ton of surface area, and it's also an excellent water polisher. Just squeeze it out well when you clean it and put it back. But I think at least one other media that's more durable than floss is the best way to go.

What's the difference between the mini and 20

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I could be wrong, but I believe that the Mini is an older model that has been discontinued. The current AquaClear 20 is what you'd want for a 10 gallon tank.

Oh ok I already have the AC mini.

I think the mini and the 20 are the same thing - I have both and near as I can see, they're the same. Hagen changed the designations of these.. used to be known by different numbers, the largest used to be the 300, now Hagen calls it the 70. Later they came out with an even larger one. the 110. So now, there's the 20,30,50,70 & 110.

But the motor is the same motor for all of the models except the 110.. the only difference is the size of the impeller. You can use a slightly bigger or smaller impeller than the one it calls for depending what you want to achieve.. say, a size smaller impeller if you need less flow, for example, or a bigger one if you need more flow.

I have all the sizes except the 110, and I have no complaint to make of any of them. The motors last a long long time. Only moving part is the impeller, and the only things that typically need to be replaced are the impellers, and once in awhile maybe an impeller shaft. If you don't allow the magnet portion of the impeller to get beat up, by letting cleaning slide too long, usually it will last darn near forever.. but the impeller blades are just plastic and they don't last so long and they don't sell them separately from the magnets, which is too bad, really.

You can often get used filters with motors pretty cheaply, enough so that even if you had to buy a new impeller for the used motor, you'd still be saving a lot of money.

Ok thanks i got the AC mini with a 10 gallon aquarium and a heater for $5 and goodwill and an AC 50 for $4 also at goodwill.

That's a deal for sure ! Watch the heater, sometimes older ones may not have a very functional thermostat. Just check and be sure it's actually heating to the right temperature. Depending how warm the room is and what fish you keep, heaters are not always necessary either.

I would choose the Aquaclear 20. If your not pressed for time but some Polyster pillow stuffing non scented make sure its 100% in your current filter for about a month and let it gather BB then place it into your new filter once you set it up and it will keep from starting a cycle over. Make sure you keep the media wet in tank water at all times.

The heater was in brand new condition and Its a Aqueon 50 watt

I found plastic pot scrubbers!

Back
Top Bottom