Switching from a 20 gallon to a 30 gallon tank (tropical), and stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tropical

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 20 long tank. I bought a 30 gallon tank and stand on craigslist for $30. Origionally I was just going to keep the stand and resell the tank, but now I'm considering making the switch. I personally like the look of the 20 long better.

How should I clean the tank? It has been used but is in decent condition.

Now, stocking ideas. I want 4 platy, a school of tetras, and a centerpiece.

I really like neon tetras, cardinal tetras, and rummy nosed tetras, which is more hardy.

For the centerpeice, I'm not a fan of the dwarf gouarmis. The long hanging fin things just creep me out. I was thinking either a betta, a bolivian ram, or an angelfish. Which would you pick?

Thanks for answering either aspect of this question, the stocking or tank cleaning.

I personally would clean the tank with bleach and hot water. Just make sure you rinse everything off well before setting up. With respect to the tetras: I know neons are relatively hardy and that cardinals are considered sensitive. A lot of people suggest adding cardinals to an "aged" tank that has been cycled for a while. Water quality becomes a big issue with cardinal tetras. Ironically, if I remember correctly, cardinals are not as susceptible to neon tetra disease as the neon tetras. I'm not that familiar with the hardiness of the rummy nosed tetras. Finally, I've become a big fan of angelfish. I have 4 in my 60 gallon tank. They will, however, consider neon tetras as food. If you are going keep angels and neons I would suggest getting jumbo neons. There is a lot of debate as to what can be kept with bettas, even on this site. Some people believe that you can keep bettas with other fish as long as you provide a lot of hiding places and reduce the bettas sight lines to the other fish with plants. I'm not that versed on the bolivian ram. Maybe someone else can provide so more info.

I'm a betta fan myself. They each have different personalities so my suggestion would be to watch him when you put the bag in to acclimate. If he tries to attack the other fish through the bag don't take him out and return him to the store. If he is OK while in the bag he will be OK in the tank. My Burt does quite well in a community tank.

Back
Top Bottom