Switching from aquarium to fiddler crab tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h8z2luze

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is it possible to use a HOB filter for a fiddler crab tank? I have a 10G that I had fish in but have swapped them into my bigger tank and want to make a proper home for my fiddler crabs. What all do I need to get? I know sand, pipes, I already have a heater... Not exactly sure what I need to do though.

i doubt an hob would work unless you rig it up to sit in the tank. You wont want the tank much more than half full so you can get the land portion up enough, but not high enough for them to climb out. I dont see a need for a heater either, mine never had one. The little cheap 5g rated internal filters work great for a crab tank, thats what i used

Oh right on. So I have the heater i will get the filter... What else do I need? pvc, sand, ???

id go with pfs... nothing else you really need, just have to figure out how to make a ramp up to the land. You might take a piece of plexiglass and silicone it in to section off the tank to keep the water only in that area, then figure out a way to make the ramp and land areas.

i was thinking something like this... I guess I could look it up but i wonder how often the water has to be changed out.

Tengalcrab1.jpg

wow, looks like a disater lol. I dont know how i feel about that, the sand and gravel would probably end up flat at some point. if you like it, go for it

From what I've seen, fiddlers are pretty good climbers. I think I'd silicone a piece of glass into the tank to create a wall to hold the sand back. I'd build a ramp out of sand or use driftwood or plants as a ladder for the crabs.

Found a couple ways to set it up but most are the same it looks like...

img_1069391_0_7e3b5fa3c693d1d74ce6b8f4b74c5e02.jpg

20125578.JPG

tank1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom