switching from gravel to pfs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

o.jonathan.o

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I'm making this so everyone can see how I change my gravel to my pool filter sand. Will keep posting pics up. Thanks for watching. I'm up for comments and suggestions :)

This is the start of the transformation. I have neglected to add water to my tank because I was planning this. All the water gone is from one day of evaporation. Its 12 inches high and right now the water level is a 10 inches

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110815_105104.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110815_105104.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 88
Chris22 said:
Cool, I'm following. Is there any fish in there??

Yes. Here is my stock list. Prolly a lil bit crowded but I'm getting a 55 soon
8 neons tetras
1 common pleco
4 Malaysian trumpet snails
10 ghost shrimp

o.jonathan.o said:
Yes. Here is my stock list. Prolly a lil bit crowded but I'm getting a 55 soon
8 neons tetras
1 common pleco
4 Malaysian trumpet snails
10 ghost shrimp

Cool, I only asked cause I couldn't see any and was wondering why u wouldn't just empty it and add the sand then lol. Do those Malaysian snails breed alot??

Yes I heard they do so I went to my newly found lfs and bought 4 so I could sell some myself

o.jonathan.o said:
Yes I heard they do so I went to my newly found lfs and bought 4 so I could sell some myself

I had some snails in my old tank, I started with one that that hitched a lift into the tank on a live plant, about a month later there was hundreds, and they were everywhere. Lol

I like mts better than any other snails, just because of their shell shape and because they turn over your sand so gasses can escape and aerate it also

o.jonathan.o said:
I like mts better than any other snails, just because of their shell shape and because they turn over your sand so gasses can escape and aerate it also

Yeah that's what I thought they did, might have to get some when I add more sand to my tank.

I'm adding about 2 inches to start and if need be another inch but I haven't even started yet. Gotta get a container for the fish and a gravel vacation first. I'm going in a bit to get it

o.jonathan.o said:
I'm adding about 2 inches to start and if need be another inch but I haven't even started yet. Gotta get a container for the fish and a gravel vacation first. I'm going in a bit to get it

2 inch should be ok that's what I'm aiming for, hopefully that'll keep my plants rooted. Look forward to seeing more pics soon then :)

Here is the pfs I'm using. Is it a good brand? Its the only one my hardware store had

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110815_125401.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110815_125401.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 71
o.jonathan.o said:
Here is the pfs I'm using. Is it a good brand? Its the only one my hardware store had

I couldn't tell you to be honest, I used play sand from my local catalogue store, I found a couple of reviews of the sand I used and nobody had any problems with it, you might wanna try google see if u can find any reviews from people that have used that brand of sand in an aquarium, I'm sure somebody else on here may be familiar with it, plus I think your in the US, I'm in the UK, I've never seen that brand over here.

Will do. Got my vacuum and holding container

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110815_141846.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110815_141846.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 68
As long as it is labeled PFS specifically, you are in good shape. I actually heard that play sand has sharp edges that can hurt fish, but I guess it doesn't matter unless you have bottom dwellers.

MTS will not multiply out of control unless there is a lot of excess food for them. They do an awesome job keeping the sand turned over though.

Taking all water out now

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110815_142447.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110815_142447.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 62
adadkins1 said:
As long as it is labeled PFS specifically, you are in good shape. I actually heard that play sand has sharp edges that can hurt fish, but I guess it doesn't matter unless you have bottom dwellers.

MTS will not multiply out of control unless there is a lot of excess food for them. They do an awesome job keeping the sand turned over though.

Really?? That's the first I've heard, maybe there different in US? Ive got some sterbai corys in my tank and they love rummaging in the sand.

o.jonathan.o said:
Will do. Got my vacuum and holding container

That vacuum will become one of your best friends lol, when you do get round to cleaning your new sand bed be careful not to suck the sand up like I did first time lol I now know your supposed to keep the siphon about an inch above and move it in a small circular motion to create a little whirlpool with the waste on the bottom which then gets sucked up.

Yeah hopefully I do it right the first time here is my progress so far. Its emptied and all fish are contained

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110815_145543.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110815_145543.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 58
  • ForumRunner_20110815_145642.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110815_145642.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 58
So here is another update. Added the sand and its still a little cloudy

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110815_162630.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110815_162630.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 69