switching gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jermad2011

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
If I want to switch gravel in my tank, how would I go about that. It has been setup for about 6 months. I'm sick of the pink gravel that came with it.

I just need to know if I should scoop it out and put new stuff in with the fish in or take them out .

IMO I would take them out as to not stress them but if you don't have another tank,container you could put them in just be very careful and try not to make a lot of racket and it should be fine.

IMO I would take them out as to not stress them but if you don't have another tank,container you could put them in just be very careful and try not to make a lot of racket and it should be fine.

One more thing, can I just get a piece of driftwood by the local river or should I get it from the lfs?

Ive seen people do it but I've never done it myself, I'm just about to put some rocks in my tank that I got from my river. That's really an up to you kind of thing, you could wash it in vinegar and soak it in really hot water, not boiling, and give it a good scrub with a non detergent scrubber. I can't give professional advice though on that. Never done driftwood before.

Ive seen people do it but I've never done it myself, I'm just about to put some rocks in my tank that I got from my river. That's really an up to you kind of thing, you could wash it in vinegar and soak it in really hot water, not boiling, and give it a good scrub with a non detergent scrubber. I can't give professional advice though on that. Never done driftwood before.

I guess collecting driftwood is illegal in WI, which is where I'm from.

Back
Top Bottom