Switching to canister filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MyCatsDrool

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am contemplating switching to a canister filter...most likely this model:

http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...07&itemNo=2&In=Fish&N=2030059+4294961701&Ne=2

My questions:

1.) My main reasons for doing this is my tank is a 55 planted. I feel the two HOBs i am currently using are not doing a good enough job. I am thinking the model rated for an 80 gallon tank. Would this be too much?

2.) Can I use the filter media in my HOBs in this filter? Currently they contain Sechem Matrix, Fluval Cylinders, Floss

3.) Is anyone using this model of canister? What is your opinion on it?

4.) How difficult is it to set up?

5.) How does it compare to the Rena Filstar XP3?

Thanks

Hi there MCD,

Eheim are the kings of canister filters. They invented them, so they've a head start I guess!
However, the Eheim Classic series is much more reliable and efficient than the newer Ecco series. The downside is they're not self-priming (urgh), and they also aren't as easy to maintain. They're a much better filter though so I guess it's whether you want ease of use or great water params...

The Ecco are self-priming, and so they're pretty easy to set up.

Rena filters are good, don't get me wrong, but you can't beat Eheim tbh. And I'm not biased on this because I personally run Tetratec canister filters on all my tanks ;-) lol!

When I switched from a hob to a canister I took the media from the bio-wheel and placed it in one of the trays. One of the other trays held ceramic rings so that the water had to pass through the old media first. This way I thought that the rings would be populated with bacteria a little faster and I did not lose any biological filter media at all.

This method seemed to work really well for me.

HTH

Like Sparky said, you can put pretty much anything in the baskets for media in the canisters. You may have to cut it some, depending on what you have, but if you can get it to fit you can use it.

Back
Top Bottom