Switching to sand.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tetra1990

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok I finally made up my mind and am going to ditch my gravel for some nice, more natural(IMO) looking sand. I was at Wally world and decided to see what they had for play sand but all they had was purple and blue. I was told they would be getting in more sand in a week or two. On my way out I walked down three fish isle, what a joke! Although I did see the biggest green Cory cat I have ever seen. It was pushing 5 inches and fat as a 55 gallon drum. Doubt it was healthy though. What really irked me was this: he was in a tank with a big fancy goldfish and a common Pleco.

i REALLY recommend the pool filter sand it has a nice light brown, tan color. the sand is in a even formation (all round) and any bottom feeder will love the stuff i built my tank around the pool sand color. i have had better luck finding the pool sand at hot tub and pool supply store.

+1 on pool filter sand.

It was really inexpensive, $10 for 50lbs. I made the mistake of being cheap and getting play sand (5$ for 50lbs). Play sand gives off a really dirty look and could easily get into your filter opposed to pfs which is a bit heavier and falls down quickly.

I found PFS easily by checking out a store that deals with pool equipments.

Tetra1990 said:
Ok, it's settled now. Pool sand it is. Thanks everyone.

Good choice! The rule of thumb is about 1-2lbs for each gallon but I felt as 50lbs was sufficient for my 55g. Although I may add more in the future.

I've never had pool filter sand as a substrate. I think I want to try it out next time.

leslies pool sand doesnt have anything in it that will harm fish will it?? no thread jacking intended

awilson133 said:
leslies pool sand doesnt have anything in it that will harm fish will it?? no thread jacking intended

I got 40 lbs of caribsea. It looks AWESOME!! It's a mess though.

Attachments

• image-388673041.jpg
    image-388673041.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 65
Here is a better pic. Everything has cleared up and the light is on. Enjoy.

Attachments

• image-1805975571.jpg
    image-1805975571.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 55
thats awesome! :) didnt really anwser my question. but I am switchinh to sand

awilson133 said:
thats awesome! :) didnt really anwser my question. but I am switchinh to sand

Don't be a fool like me and forget to rinse the sand it makes you ph spike up like crazy just remember to rinse the sand and it should work out fine:)

Back
Top Bottom