Swordtail Feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mmckinniss

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just started a 55 gal freshwater and have had a half dozen fish in for a week (2 Mollies, 2 Platies, 2 Swordtails). I've been feeding them TetraColor flakes 2x daily, just a few flakes at a time. I've noticed the Platies are active feeders, the Mollies hyperactive feeders, but I cannot tell that my Swordtails are feeding at all.

How do swordtails typically feed? How can I tell that they are eating? Should I be worried?

My swordtails are just as active as my platies at feeding time. Had the tank had time to cycle well?

Laurie said:
My swordtails are just as active as my platies at feeding time. Had the tank had time to cycle well?

I had used API QuickStart on rec from LFS. (I'm new to this.) Added all fish a couple days later.

That might be the problem. You should cycle your tank before adding fish. I'm sure someone here can give a better explanation but it has to go through several cycles before it's safe for fish. I've killed many a fish in the past before I realized this.

Defintely cycle your tank first, but swordtails are typically very hardy. Are yours actively swimming? From what I understand about swordies is that they are very social and very active fish, so a swordtail that isn't social and/or active could be a sign of stress and/or disease.

Defintely cycle your tank first, but swordtails are typically very hardy. Are yours actively swimming? From what I understand about swordies is that they are very social and very active fish, so a swordtail that isn't social and/or active could be a sign of stress and/or disease.

Since posting, my swordtails have become more active. I notice them pecking at various surfaces - suction cups, caulk. I just saw yesterday they've started feeding off the surface too, though they're not taking large bites. I suspect they're beginning to acclimate.

Back
Top Bottom