Tahitian moon sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CiRXSi

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm thinking about putting this in my new tank that I'll be getting, and maybe in my 7gal too. I know about vacuuming just above the sand's surface. I also know about aerating it. My questions are this:

How often to aerate?
Are there any fish that aren't compatible with this sand?
Does it affect PH?

Also, I'm hearing about buying normal sand from Home Depot. Is there a particular sand to buy that is safe for aquaiums, or is it all safe?

The sand at the depot is called southdown. Don't buy anything other that that without asking others first. If the sand comes from quikcrete and says playsand....it is not the right stuff.

There are no fish that are not compatable with a sand bottom, They do come from sandy areas in the wild afterall, right?

Some may dig more than others, and stirr up clouds of dust in the water uinless you rinse REALLY good.

I don't arraete my sand because its only an inch, to a inch and a half thick.. and most of my animals in my tanks love to dig anyways.

It dosn't affect PH/.

I have the black Tahitian moon sand and regular play sand in separate tanks. The play sand I rinsed for two days and it still took some time for the water to clear up. With the moon sand once rinse it worked well and it was clear in minutes. I have some were between 2-3 inches and I just run my hand though it once a week during water changes. My barbs dont due any digging and I dont like snails. So this works for me.

Back
Top Bottom