Tale of Two Plecos--Goliath and Runt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fearlessfisch

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought two albino dwarf plecos about a month ago. Both were the same size at purchase....they were little bitty wee fishes about the size of an earring. Goliath has already grown to 3 or 4 times his original size. Little Runt remains as tiny and runtish as the day I brought him home.

Goliath is smart. He knows immediately when I put veggies in the tank, and he is on top of them almost before I can withdraw my hand. He also scours the sand for edibles. Runt is active, but he spends all of his time rasping algae on the glass. I have gone so far as to pick him up and place him directly on a piece of zucchini to help him get the idea, but he just swims away. He doesn't seem very bright.

I am wondering if poor Runt will ever grow up. And no, it's not psychological...I promise I don't call him Runt to his face. I don't think I'm doing anything blatantly wrong, since Goliath is growing so well....right?

I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts or suggestions for poor little Runt.

Could be:

a) Genetic...it is possible that Runt really is a runt.

b) Goliath is a bully and keeping Runt away from veggies, etc when you are not around (i.e. at night)...and just the constant bullying could be stressing Runt into poor growth.

Thanks, Toirtis. It never occurred to me that he might just be that way. I haven't seen any aggression, but you're right that I don't see them at night. I think I will start putting veggies at both far ends of the tank instead of just in the middle, just in case Runt is facing competition.

I have three ancistrus (not albino - BrianNY knows a lot about runts in the albino variety) and my male is significantly larger than the females, and I had similar concerns. I do think the male bullies his way around the tank and gets more food, but I see the females eating often enough to reassure me that they might just be genetically smaller - they are about 2.5" (have been for over 4 years now) and the male is a good 4.5".

Thanks, Tankgirl. This is very interesting to me. I have been reassured by the fact that Runt is very active and always seems to be eating algae, even though his body doesn't show it. I will have to do some research on sexing plecos.

For the bristlenose, males have tentacles, females do not. There is tons of info on planetcatfish.com, in the cat-e-log, with plenty of pics.

Back
Top Bottom