tank #2, prob #2: hungry puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr.Danio

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok, so at home in the 35 gallon sligtly brackish tank i have a 1.5" puffer that I believe to be of the Tetraodon shoutedeni type. He seems to be more club shaped than the Tetraodon nigrifilis variety (which interestingly has the shortest genome of any complex vertebrate!) but i don't know if its just because he is starved.

I asked at the LFS if he is fresh or brackish and they told me brackish, so I figured that he would do nicely in my mildly brackish tank (less than 1 tbsp per 5 gal) with the Gar and freinds. After trying to feed him for two days now he hasn't eaten live brine shrimp or danio fry (that i'm aware of), he refused very tiny guppies, didn't notice the snails, and tried to eat but gave up on whole bloodworms (in gel type). I thought maybe he needed more salt, so i put him into a smaller tank with about 1 tbsp per 4 gal. he seemed more active, but still won't eat. With the research that he may be a more freshwater species, i put him back in the tank and he just sits there. for such a cute fish he looks really sad.

any help is appreciated. I've scoured the web and have learned just about everything that there is to know... but still i have no experience...

I'm not much help there. My puffer is a green spotted puffer (can't remember the scientific name :oops: :oops: ) whom I have living in full salt water. He is very active and is a total pig at feeding time. I would suggest www.pufferlovers.com to you as this is where I got most of my info. They are very knowledgeable about puffers there.

same problem i got

i got the same problem...
if u got any progress in keeping your pufferfish alive please let me know... :( :roll: :wink:
ofcourse ill try to do the same ...thnx

Back
Top Bottom