Tank aggression...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skifflexie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so bear with me, I'm new to having a semi aggressive tank.

Here's my tank list:

3 adult tiger barbs (did fine in my 15g community and never harmed anyone)

3 regular baby tiger barbs

3 albino baby tiger barbs

2 ghost cats (waiting on my LFS to get more)

4 juli cats

2 baby Angels

2 gouramis ( I know about aggression, I know it can be hit and miss)

I'm completely new to having Angels and ghost cats... But the man at the LFS told me they aren't hard to keep or needy.

I know that most don't agree with having the glass cats in the semi aggressive because of food competition, but they eat really well and I make sure they are thriving.

I have some hiding areas, I'm just waiting on some more plants, I want it to be very densely planted so they all have hiding places.

Today when I came home it appears that one of my gouramis and one of my Angels must of gotten into a fight? That's at least what I'm guessing because my angel is now just a carcass ;( and my gourami has some fin damage....

I'm so upset. I thought Angels did fairly well in semi aggressive tanks.

My tiger barbs seem to be liking their improved school, they went from 3 to 9 and they all seem to chase and school each other. The julli's seem happy to be on the sand. The angel carcass was the first sign of any issues, I've been keeping a really close eye on everyone and fin conditions and eating and chasing, and swim patterns. I want everyone to be comfortable in the semi aggressive.

Should I move my other angel to my regular community tank? Or will he hurt my comm. fish?

I'm certainly no expert, and I have read contradictory advice before...but I had a small angel in my previous community tank and I never had any issues. Good luck, they're such pretty fish.

Angels are not semi aggressive until they get some size to them. If they are small like dime size juveniles they will be torn to shreds by an adult gourami or Tiger barbs. also tiger barbs will still nip the fins on angels at any size.

i would say your angel was not the aggressor. although when they get older thats a different story. i have some a dossile as a bunny and one thats like a Paranaand he will try to kill all in the tank except his mate. all fish have there own personalities and will act different its kinda trial and error when mixing fish. heck i have had a pissed off guppy kill a bunch of ones that i use for feeders lol

Also I'm an idiot and I actually forgot to list some of my fish, I also have an African leaf fish and not 4 julii but 5

i would say your angel was not the aggressor. although when they get older thats a different story. i have some a dossile as a bunny and one thats like a Paranaand he will try to kill all in the tank except his mate. all fish have there own personalities and will act different its kinda trial and error when mixing fish. heck i have had a pissed off guppy kill a bunch of ones that i use for feeders lol

Yeah that's what I figured. :/ I only did the semi ag. tank because I had the tiger barbs. Now I'm worried that they will hurt each other, I guess it's just about finding that right balance.

Angels are not semi aggressive until they get some size to them. If they are small like dime size juveniles they will be torn to shreds by an adult gourami or Tiger barbs. also tiger barbs will still nip the fins on angels at any size.

I moved him to my comm. tank, then when he gets bigger ill move him back, I also went to the store and got another one, because I was told they do better as pairs? So they are both in my 15g for now.

I'm going out of town for the weekend, should I do anything special? I got some weekend feeders cuz I don't want the fish trying to eat each other if try get hungry. I've left my 15 many times and they were fine, but this is my first time leaving the 29. My roommate is gonna be here, but she likes watching the fish, but HATES messing with them. So I can't really count on her to take care of them.... And she's already watching my dog, so I don't wanna bug her about the fish.

The tanks are on timers, and I tested the water in both and they were good. I did 25% in the 29 due to slight nitrates. Anything else?

If its just like Friday to Sunday really nothing needs to be done. Even with out food they should be fine.

If its just like Friday to Sunday really nothing needs to be done. Even with out food they should be fine.

Thanks.
Yeah I'll be coming home Monday. So everything should be good. Lol I'm just one of those people who worried about the what ifs Lol

Thanks.
Yeah I'll be coming home Monday. So everything should be good. Lol I'm just one of those people who worried about the what ifs Lol

Im the same way. Even tho I say they should be fine and mine have been left for 5 days with no problem anything can happen.

Back
Top Bottom