Tank Algae Guru Needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks I think I'll try introducing one of the types of plants. Do you need a lot of plants or will one or two small sections do the job?

I'm also going to look into buying a UV sterilizer. Does it pose any danger for a turtle? Any lights that can damage his eyes or any other health hazard?

I'll also dig back into my filter basket setup ... maybe try removing some of the ceramic media and going back to an 8 sponge vs. the present 4 sponge setup. I'd thought that more ceramic media would offer an improvement in filtration. After all isn't that the main benefit of the larger RENA/FILSTAR/API XP canister filters? I'd assumed that using more ceramic biological media would produce better tank filtration, but maybe I donut understand the filtration system at all:)

The UV bulb will be enclosed. It's no danger.

If there are lots of nutrients in the water most floaters multiply fairly quickly.

If you were getting random blooms once a year, and now a really bad one and nothing really changed, I would say they're doing something different at whatever water treatment plant it comes from. Test your water out of the tap and see if there is anything that might be making things worse

If you were getting random blooms once a year, and now a really bad one and nothing really changed, I would say they're doing something different at whatever water treatment plant it comes from. Test your water out of the tap and see if there is anything that might be making things worse

I'm in NYC and the water quality is reputed to be good and consistent.

This evening I received my 9watt Green Killing Machine UV sterilizer. I just hooked it up. I'm hoping it yields as dramatic results as recounted in the various testimonials and reviews.

I have a question about the ceramic filter media. My is now stained a medium to darkish green. The media is porous and the stain has remained undiluted after swishing in ()admittedly green) tank water. When I did my deep tank cleaning I got all the visible algae removed except for the ceramic media.

Should I better clean the media or levee it alone? If it's recommended to clean it, how?

I would leave it to be honest. There's no way you can remove the staining without destroying the bacteria and the last thing you want to do right now is restart your cycle.

OK. I'll let the UV sterilizer do its thing and leave the filter alone.

When was the last time you changed the light bulbs on the tank?

Sometimes the fluorescent lights lose the ideal color spectrum over time. They usually need replacing about 9-12 months.

You could use a cover for the intake if he bites the sponge prefilter.

Yes - phosguard pouch

The chemical algae killer could do harm to the turtle if it is not measured correctly or used correctly /directions need to be followed. Now you shouldn't have to use the stuff if the UV filter is appropriately rated for the tank size.

I've had the Green Killing Machine UV sterilizer in the tank for 1.5 days. I just noticed that my turtle has knocked off the unit's sponge and plastic elbow. There's some debris plugging both the intake and outtake ports of the sterilizer/lamp assembly.

The manual says the lamp assembly is not serviceable. Has anyone disassembled one?
I've swished the unit around in a bucket of H2O but want to be sure it's clear.

I'm going to secure the sponge with copper wires wrapped around the assembly ... maybe with a wire mesh grid if the turtle starts biting pieces of the sponge away.

I may also have to find a way to keep the lamp unit secured to the pump ... the turtle is strong and disturbs anything int he tank that isn't very solidly secured.

No change in the pea soup status yet.

When was the last time you changed the light bulbs on the tank?

Sometimes the fluorescent lights lose the ideal color spectrum over time. They usually need replacing about 9-12 months.

You could use a cover for the intake if he bites the sponge prefilter.

Yes - phosguard pouch

The chemical algae killer could do harm to the turtle if it is not measured correctly or used correctly /directions need to be followed. Now you shouldn't have to use the stuff if the UV filter is appropriately rated for the tank size.

I need to check the date when the bulb was replaced but it's under a year. OTOH I've had bulbs longer than a year without algae.

The instructions state that the Green Killing Machine's pump assembly cover is easily removed to access the impeller for cleaning, which I'll do.

Well I found a hideously low quality video on a guy opening he bulb housing:

I wonder if I should open it up and clean it out. I have no idea how long it was running before my turtle attacked it, but I have to assume he attacked it shortly after it was introduced to the tank.

EDIT:
I cleaned everything really well, but didn't disassemble the lightbulb housing. I secured the sponge with wires and also secured the impeller assembly to the bulb housing with wires. I placed the unit at the very front of the tank so that I can monitor it without it being obscured by the pea soup. Now, we wait and see how well the Green Killing Machine works. Btw, this the 9 watt unit in a 37 gallon tank.

It's been almost 3 days since the UV sterilizer has been in the tank. I'm not seeing any change. I'm going to do a 1/3 water change and add a dose of Tetra Algae Control (chemical). I've been too busy so have not had the time to hunt for plants to add to the tank.
Not a happy camper.

float a true cuttle bone in the tank and the turtle will most likely leave every thing else alone.

they need the calcium for there shells. I raise turtles.

float a true cuttle bone in the tank and the turtle will most likely leave every thing else alone.

they need the calcium for there shells. I raise turtles.

I always keep some cuttlebone in the tank, chopped into smaller pieces. Mr turtle has different interests: he's generally not much engaged with the cuttlebone scene, barring the very occasional mood where he wants to chomp on it.

On the contrary, anything introduced to the tank will be a source of endless investigation/destruction/domination by him.

Here's a pic of the tank from yesterday:

DSC04689.jpg

Today it has been 3.5 days since the UV sterilizer (9 watt Green Killing Machine) has been installed. No discernible change in the water quality. After about an inch from the glass, one cannot discern any detail of items the tank, that's how heavy the green murk is.

I've got a big problem here because the next 2-3 weeks I need to have this tank looking it's absolute best, due to the nature of the visitors who will be entering my place. This is not simply an issue relegated to mere aesthetics - there's absolutely NO way I can have this green tank sitting in my kitchen window. For the first time in my life I'm seriously entertaining thoughts of finding another home for my turtle of 11 years. The tank upkeep in recent months has become too much of an aggravation and has consumed more time than I have availible to devote to it and it's pushing me over the edge of in the balance of pleasure-to-aggregation quotient of having a turtle.

This issue must be solved ASAP. I'd assumed it would already be well on its way to being remedied with the $50 dumped on the UV sterilizer.

I went to Petland in NYC to try to score some of the plants mentioned upthread: nothing doing. Further, the store salespeople have no clue where I can source plants in NYC (frankly, plants seem like a wild goose chase to me, I can't imagine how plants will turn this tank around). I have no time to devote to hunting for obscure plants. My life is too busy at present.

I mentioned Phosguard to the salesman, he does not sell it. He seems to think it's the same chemical in my Tetra Algae Control product that I've used repeatedly in this battle (without success).

He says that if the ceramic media in the filter is contaminated with algae, and I clean everything else but reintroduce the contaminated ceramic media, the algae will just regrow. He thinks I should clean the ceramic media in a mild solution of bleach and water, then rinse the media for a good long time to remove any residual bleach. Or buy new media.

At this stage, it looks like I can clean or swap out the ceramic media (and reset the filter to as close to the pre-algea arrangement as possible), toss some unobtainable plants in the tank, dump some serious chemicals that I can't easily source locally (Phosguard??? I don't know what it is) in the greatest metropolis and commercial center that the history of mankind on planet earth has ever seen (NYC) ... or call it the end of the line for my aquarium and turtle keeping days. I'm not deeply motivated to have an aquarium...it's not in my blood. I have this aquarium out of an act of compassion for a tiny turtle that an irresponsible roommate of mine had bought. I was asked to take care of it when she went on a weekend trip (I didn't even know she had a turtle). The turtle was obviously unhappy in it's little salad bowl, with no heat, no UVB, poor diet, no space to swim, no place to dry out or bask, no heat lamp. I played with him and we bonded over climbing ... I'm a climber and he too was a great climber when he was tiny: he would climb up my window screen and try to mantel over the top while I spotted him. I researched turtles and realized how neglected he was. I adopted him and took care of him. I got him pimped out with a tank, ATBA, and all the stuff he needs ... he learned to swim, he basked, he took walks, he grew really fast, he stopped just living with his head and limbs tucked inside his shell all day except for the few minutes he would tentatively stick his head out to quickly eat ... he began to thrive and not to be completely freaked out around people. That was 11 years ago. He's also developed a mean streak in the past couple years, he snaps and bites when he's held making tank maintenance more difficult, some years back he broke the tank - twice I've had water damage to my hardwood floors including newly installed flooring. When I'm out of town, my roommates have to take care of Mr. T., and I don't imagine it's easy or desirable for them to do. There's the vent machine gaining momentum.

Despite what events transpire, it is an immutable absolute that the tank must be 100% clear within the next couple days. I'm going to have to do a 100% water change to make this tank presentable, despite whatever repercussions that has on anything else.

Any other ideas? Blacking out this window isn't an option.

It looks like the window sits behind the tank? Also what lights and light duration are you using?

I would put tank backing or black cardboard on the tank back, sides and on top of tank as well (around light) - I'm not sure what light you have but I'd block off all window light coming in. I'd cut back any tank lighting (LEDs or bulbs) to 4 hrs (ligt later when sorted).

Wouldn't worry on phosguard or plants for the moment personally, I'd stop the light and let the UV filter catch up, then look at phosguard. Floating plants I'd be tempted on but if he will eat them anyways.

I agree, block out the light. A 9w UV steriliser cleared my dads fish pond in just over a week. I'd expected to have seen some change myself if I'm honest but it sounds as the the algae is proliferating faster thank the UV can keep up probably due to the size of the tank and the amount of nutrient input from the turtle and whatever food he is eating plus the light duration which I imagine is long at this time of year. If you have another container you can take some of the water out of the tank and put the turtle in that. Move the heater over if it has one and cover the tank completely. That way you are removing the light and nutrient source. When the turtle goes back cut down on feeding a tad. And put the duckweed or salvinia in whilst the water is clear. This should help. Place a black backing on the side of the tank that gets daylight etc.

I agree, block out the light. A 9w UV steriliser cleared my dads fish pond in just over a week. I'd expected to have seen some change myself if I'm honest but it sounds as the the algae is proliferating faster thank the UV can keep up probably due to the size of the tank and the amount of nutrient input from the turtle and whatever food he is eating plus the light duration which I imagine is long at this time of year. If you have another container you can take some of the water out of the tank and put the turtle in that. Move the heater over if it has one and cover the tank completely. That way you are removing the light and nutrient source. When the turtle goes back cut down on feeding a tad. And put the duckweed or salvinia in whilst the water is clear. This should help. Place a black backing on the side of the tank that gets daylight etc.

As I mentioned earlier I cannot have my windows blocked off. Blocking light to the tank means casting the kitchen into darkness. This cannot happen. Especially during the next 3-4 weeks. There is 0% that this can happen. I'd have to make the painful and unfortunate decision to get rid of both the turtle and the tank before that happened.

In fact, the exact opposite must happen: my kitchen must be presentable, bathed in light, and the tank clear by 6pm this evening. Therefor, I'm going to have to do a 100% water change by 6:00 this evening so that my kitchen is presentable. This is imperative. There's no wiggle room on this.

It's been 5.5 days since the UV sterilizer has been in place. I've read all sorts of reviews stating that that purchaser's tanks were pure pea soup and within about 5-7 days the tank was clear ... with tanks the same size or smaller than mine with the 9 watt Green Killing Machine unit. I'm not sure what to think about the sterilizer. Is it defective? Is it BS?

In any case the tank must be clear and presentable by this evening!

Is it recommended that I use a bleach solution to clean the Fluval Biomax ceramic media while stripping down the tank and doing the 100% water change? What purpose is served by putting the same green and contaminated media back into the filter? Wont it just regrow the algae? I did a 100% water change about 2.5 - 3(?) weeks ago and scrupulously scrubbed EVERYTHING except I reused the same green Biomax ceramic media. I'm pretty *&%@*!! stressed out over this tank right now. There is no worse time this could be happening!!!

In the past 2 months I've done two 100% water changes.

Sorry to hear circumstances are happening at the worse time.

The comment about blocking light is fine to do on the glass of the tank. Not absolute for the window. Just usually an easy fix to keep light rays from hitting the tank.

You can do a 100% black out on the tank by covering the glass and any area light could seep through for 3 days. Don't feed the turtle for a couple days. To keep nutrients to a min. level while treating the tank with the black out.

Big water change after to remove dead algae.

Phosguard can be ordered online. It can come ready done in a pouch maybe 100ml size or buy specialized bags to add larger amounts to. Also not needed today. But would be a wise investment for the future.

If you clean out 100% water change. Keeping the ceramic media if the tank is cycled would be for the health of the cycle of the tank. Possibly causing damage to your turtle and requiring more water changes to keep him in a safe zone of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. That is the importance of not bleaching it.

After 100% water change the algae should be killed off by the UV unit. Eventually eliminating the problem.

You could have a broken unit ??? Bad bulb if it is the kind that come with one, maybe?

Plants can be ordered by mail. Later.

I agree with what Caliban has stated. Good advice for the OP!

As I mentioned earlier I cannot have my windows blocked off. Blocking light to the tank means casting the kitchen into darkness. This cannot happen. Especially during the next 3-4 weeks. There is 0% that this can happen. I'd have to make the painful and unfortunate decision to get rid of both the turtle and the tank before that happened.

In fact, the exact opposite must happen: my kitchen must be presentable, bathed in light, and the tank clear by 6pm this evening. Therefor, I'm going to have to do a 100% water change by 6:00 this evening so that my kitchen is presentable. This is imperative. There's no wiggle room on this.

It's been 5.5 days since the UV sterilizer has been in place. I've read all sorts of reviews stating that that purchaser's tanks were pure pea soup and within about 5-7 days the tank was clear ... with tanks the same size or smaller than mine with the 9 watt Green Killing Machine unit. I'm not sure what to think about the sterilizer. Is it defective? Is it BS?

In any case the tank must be clear and presentable by this evening!

Is it recommended that I use a bleach solution to clean the Fluval Biomax ceramic media while stripping down the tank and doing the 100% water change? What purpose is served by putting the same green and contaminated media back into the filter? Wont it just regrow the algae? I did a 100% water change about 2.5 - 3(?) weeks ago and scrupulously scrubbed EVERYTHING except I reused the same green Biomax ceramic media. I'm pretty *&%@*!! stressed out over this tank right now. There is no worse time this could be happening!!!

In the past 2 months I've done two 100% water changes.

The last thing that you want to do is bleach the biological media. You don't want to kill off the beneficial bacteria. That's a big no-no, and it will only make the problem worse. In terms of the UV sterilizer, I have the exact same model and it did the job for me. My green water issue was not as grand as your's, but it cleared my tank in 1-2 days. Aforementioned, the issue is the abundance of light and the large amount of nutrients and wastes for algae to feed on. How about moving the tank away from the window? That way you can still have light in the kitchen. If you don't address the underlying problem, you'll continue to have green water, even with the UV sterilizer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom