Tank and filters need cleaning too often

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shanmcook

Aquarium Advice Newbie
100 gal. tank w/ 3 Oscars, 2 Pacus, 1 Jack demsey, 1 Pleco
We're having to change the filters and clean the tank about every 4 or 5 days. Any ideas on what might be causing it to get dirty so fast or how to keep it cleaner, longer would be appreciated.

shanmcook

A lot of it depends on how much you feed your fish at each serving,
if you throw a large handful in once a day chances are that most will get sucked up the filter. You can feed your fish 5 small servings a day if you like.
What I do is feed my fish 3 times a day and make sure that they eat everything and no leftovers. this way excess food will not get sucked into the filter as food in your filter causes harmful bacteria for your fish.

If your fish food is not getting sucked up chances are you have very good filteration, as they do suck up anything it can.
Good luck.
Chris

if your fish are babies they will be ok for awhile, but your tank will soon be overcrowded--oscars are very messy eaters, and most of what they take in the seem to shred and put out into the water just for the filters....are you aware how large a pacu alone can get??

too small of a tank for one, 2 pacus will alone need at least a 250 gallon. The 3 oscars, their own 200g, as for the pleco it could go with the oscars for cleaning. The jack dempsey I really don't know as I'm not really into cichlids. The reason you're cleaning so much is that your tank is WAY too overcrowded.

2 pacus will alone need at least a 250 gallon. The 3 oscars, their own 200g,

Sorry Cdawson..

but this is untrue Although you could get a 250 gallon tank you would probley need to have it in the basement in a concrete floor.

Your tank is A good size for your fish as one pacus will need about 50 gallons
as for compatability here is what I read on them.
Good luck.
Chris

"Compatibility. Pacus seem to prefer the company of other Pacus, when they are small. But as they mature a group of Pacus would require a huge aquarium. So they are usually seen alone or with a few other very large fish.

Other fish that are often seen in the same aquariums with Pacus are: Oscars about the same size, White Tip Shark Catfish, Plecostomus Catfish, and Neotropical Cichlids such as Firemouths and Jack Dempseys. Sometimes Pacus are kept with Arowanas.
Pacus are also often seen in aquariums with Tinfoil Barbs, Clown Knife Fish, Snow Flake Eels, and Siamese Tiger Fish."

Back
Top Bottom