Tank background challenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheresaM

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought this 10g to store plant clippings and bits. Of course I couldn't just have plants so I added sponge filter, and some neo shrimp. After some tank rearranging I moved my Endlers colony, had to add a heater and HOB filter.
The tank is on top of a corner fireplace, back faces one window, left side another. Interestingly no issues with algae.

With the sponge filter I was happy with no background on the tank, gave it a nice natural look. Then we got some crazy cold weather so I sandwiched a towel between the tank & window. Weather is a bit warmer now so here I am. Any great ideas for a background now that there is a filter, cords, etc showing?

Sorry for the long story :whistle:

img_3173608_0_92e976473e5db8d410ed028efe1375d6.jpg

I prefer a black background because it just makes everything stand out so well. However I don't like the idea of painting my aquarium, since it's too permanent. So, I bought black wrapping paper and taped it on. Only cost me $3.50.

I have a black background as well. I cut a black poster board to fit my tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I like the light coming through the tank as is. Can all the cords and such go on one side then you can disguise just that side with tall plants?

Sent via an unladen European Swallow

I like the light coming through the tank as is. Can all the cords and such go on one side then you can disguise just that side with tall plants?

I really do too. I have to put the towel there because there was too much cold air coming thru and the water temp was dropping. Maybe I'll play around with the tech stuff sometime this week.

Yes, with these temps the towel is an excellent idea!

I know, right? We live in a 1970s house, previous owner converted the deck into an attached room which is where this tank lives. Basically no insulation in the walls and junk windows. The towel made a huge difference!

I paint the back of my tanks with black plastidip. It's a spray on coating that can be peeled off which you can't do with normal brushed on or sprayed on paint.

But, due to the location of your particular tank, I do like the light shining through. Maybe you can try one of those frosted window sheets that you can get at lowes or Home Depot. They are transparent enough to let some light through and at the se time hide some of the wires and hob. It won't hide them completely but it will only be shadows that you see.

?....Maybe you can try one of those frosted window sheets that you can get at lowes or Home Depot. They are transparent enough to let some light through and at the se time hide some of the wires and hob.....

Good idea if plants don't work!

I paint the back of my tanks with black plastidip. It's a spray on coating that can be peeled off which you can't do with normal brushed on or sprayed on paint.

But, due to the location of your particular tank, I do like the light shining through. Maybe you can try one of those frosted window sheets that you can get at lowes or Home Depot. They are transparent enough to let some light through and at the se time hide some of the wires and hob. It won't hide them completely but it will only be shadows that you see.

Thank you so much, can't believe I didn't think of that and we actually have some in the garage (y)

Kids are off school today so I think I'll get my handy girl youngest daughter to work on this. I really hope there's enough left....

It's done and I'm so happy with it! 15 year old daughter did the measure and cut, here's the back before smoothing out the bubbles:

img_3175131_0_901679f6da4e7e85af35812597eaee1a.jpg

And the completed front shot:

img_3175131_1_711cf6c8acc6782cffe93c4739c6812f.jpg

My new male Endlers went in a few hours later, now I'm just waiting for some plants to arrive.

Thanks so much for suggesting this :flowers:

Crafty gal! It looks really nice...subtle. I'll be keeping this one in mind :)

Neat! I've seen this done with a rice paper style window film.
I guess I won't suggest a black heavy poster board or a black trash bag (which is used on my tanks).
I have a "holding tank" as well. That's what I tell my spouse. It has a light, heater, and filter, full of plants and some fish. She says it's an aquarium and is say it's a plant holding / quarantine tank. Big difference :) I have the beginning stages of MTS and I'm in denial.

It's ok Fresh! We are all down here in the fiery throes of addiction with you :) how long was it you went without buying fish? I'm on day 39, and got a call today that they got my cories in. I have a holding tank too. Which recently found some shrimp inhabitants that hopped in there from the kitchen. No idea how that happened....
Plus that CO2 setup might pair quite nicely with the 15l I keep pretending I don't have. Or I might stumble upon a new 20b. ;)

It's done and I'm so happy with it! 15 year old daughter did the measure and cut, here's the back before smoothing out the bubbles:

img_3175327_0_901679f6da4e7e85af35812597eaee1a.jpg

And the completed front shot:

img_3175327_1_711cf6c8acc6782cffe93c4739c6812f.jpg

My new male Endlers went in a few hours later, now I'm just waiting for some plants to arrive.

Thanks so much for suggesting this :flowers:

Beautiful. Gives me ideas, too. ?

Thanks, I really am happy with it!

Hey, I did an Asian biotope years ago and used crunched up brown paper bags for the background...looked really good with the betta coccina and cherry barbs!

Back
Top Bottom