Tank bottom/stand top not flat...How do I fix this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RachelG

Aquarium Advice Activist
So against all odds I was able to get my dream 45 gallon tank a lot sooner than I thought! This is by far the largest aquarium I've ever had and I'm so excited to get started on it. I have a little liquid-filled level checker, and the stand is perfectly level. Unfortunately, the tank bottom or the top of the stand don't seem perfectly flat, and all four corners of the tank are raised and don't touch the stand! This is bad, how do I sort this out? If I fill the tank, will it bust? I'm afraid I have zero experience with aquarium stands or tanks larger than 20 gallons. I don't know what to do or who to ask. :(

It is more likely a problem with the stand, I think. I ordered this stand online and it would cost almost a third of the price to ship it back for a refund...I have very little money to work with so I'd much rather find a way to fix the stand.

The aquarium is 36x12 inches horizontally and 25 inches tall. Brand is called Visio. I can't lift this thing off of the stand myself, and I needed to call a couple of friends to come help me do that. If I need to move the tank to figure this out, I may have to wait a few weeks until someone is able to come help me...

Attachments

• DSCF9973.jpg
    DSCF9973.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 183
  • DSCF9975.jpg
    DSCF9975.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 147
In the mean time, is it safe to let the tank sit unfilled on top of the stand like this?

I think it is the aquarium...I spent time checking the aquarium trim with the little level checker, and I think it is the bottom trim of the aquarium. It's bowed up at the edges slightly. Man, I have to take it back to the store. This is such a pain. :(

If you're really good with tools and can get it as precise as possible you could make a small wooden frame to set around the the edge of your tank to create a support for it. I don't think it'll bust but I wouldn't risk 45g of water and glass on the floor

Keep calm and drum on

If you're really good with tools and can get it as precise as possible you could make a small wooden frame to set around the the edge of your tank to create a support for it. I don't think it'll bust but I wouldn't risk 45g of water and glass on the floor

Keep calm and drum on

That's not gonna happen because I have no experience with woodworking. I don't even own a saw or drill. :(

I have seen where others taken a piece of styrofoam board and place it under the tank as a cushon so to speak, not sure if that would be of any help in your situation though.

IMO that gap isn't large enough to be concerning. When you fill the tank, the weight of the water, substrate, etc will flatten out the bottom.
I had a similar situation with both my 40b's. Once filled everything was fine and still is. :)

IMO that gap isn't large enough to be concerning. When you fill the tank, the weight of the water, substrate, etc will flatten out the bottom.
I had a similar situation with both my 40b's. Once filled everything was fine and still is. :)

I think it wouldn't be a big deal if one side were raised. But BOTH sides are raised, I think this is very dangerous and could result in a broken tank and damaged floor. :(

I still think it's fine. It looks like less than a quarter inch off. Ultimately it's up to you and what makes you comfy of course.

I still think it's fine. It looks like less than a quarter inch off. Ultimately it's up to you and what makes you comfy of course.

Added up, the tank is a quarter inch off. I don't think that is safe.

Tank is new and you are in doubt then for sure take it back and get a replacement for it. Sure it is probably a hassle to load it up take it back and then start to set up the new one ; not even close to the hassle when the thing decides to say " adios " .
Any doubts I would say exchange it

Tank is new and you are in doubt then for sure take it back and get a replacement for it. Sure it is probably a hassle to load it up take it back and then start to set up the new one ; not even close to the hassle when the thing decides to say " adios " .
Any doubts I would say exchange it

Yeah. The problem is I may need to wait a few weeks to get someone with a car who has time to take me, and the place doesn't sell tanks on the shelf. They'll have to order another one, which will take a couple of weeks. This will take a very long time. And I got my hopes up that I'd have the tank dirted by tomorrow night. T-T

Yeah. The problem is I may need to wait a few weeks to get someone with a car who has time to take me, and the place doesn't sell tanks on the shelf. They'll have to order another one, which will take a couple of weeks. This will take a very long time. And I got my hopes up that I'd have the tank dirted by tomorrow night. T-T

Still might be better than taking the chance.
Could you take some pictures and send them to where you got the tank from and this way they could see what you have before hand and possibly order a replacement so it is there when you go with the one you have? You could nicely explain you situation about not having a car and maybe they will understand and help you so you don't need to take a second trip.
Can't hurt to try , ya never know.

I would absolutely exchange that tank. It could lead to a disaster. Be patient and wait till you can get help. Hold on to your receipt, and call the store and tell them that you will be returning the tank for an exchange , but you may not be able to get there right away. That way they know ahead of time that you have a problem tank. Talk to the manager.

I talked to the store owner today. He will try to get a replacement for me. It will be a few weeks longer before my awesome dirty crypty tank comes into being, but oh well.

On the bright side, I ended up stopping at Petco on the way home(Not where I bought the tank from) and noticed they had little live plants in packets hanging on hooks labeled "betta plant" They were all dead brown mush except for a little crypt wendtii that still had some leaves and roots hanging in there. They let me have it for free since it is half dead. I'll try to revive it and plant it in my big tank later on when it is here. More crypts! :)

So what happens if the new tank does the same? A piece of styrofoam (3/4" to 1" thick ) would alleviate the problem

So what happens if the new tank does the same? A piece of styrofoam (3/4" to 1" thick ) would alleviate the problem

If the new tank does the same then I'll be convinced that I have the worst luck...Or that Visio is going down in quality. The store owner is so big on them, though. :(

I thought styrafoam was a bad idea with rimmed tanks.

Edit: Look at all the little baby crypts I salvaged from the brown mush packet! I think I can grow them up and they will be great for my future dirted tank. For now I'll grab a fishbowl out of the closet and put some potting soil in it and set a lamp over it to get these little plants going. A little dirted bowl sample to tide me over until I can set the big tank up. :)

Attachments

• DSCF9980.jpg
    DSCF9980.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 241
You really need to lay a straight edge along the tank and the stand to determine which isn't straight. Just eyeing it isn't a good way to tell. something like a 4ft level should work. also when assembling the top are you sure the cam locks locked properly in the middle of the top? Just some suggestions.

I agree with Mike. I would use a proper sized level/straight edge and check every thing again, including your assembly of the stand as he also mentioned. Call some friends over, offer free beer for the help.

Jesse

I agree with Mike. I would use a proper sized level/straight edge and check every thing again, including your assembly of the stand as he also mentioned. Call some friends over, offer free beer for the help.

Jesse

Free beer ; I am on the way there now. LOL

And yes a straight edge as mentioned. A level , piece of metal like a length of flat stock heck even a wooden yardstick should tell you whats not straight.

Back
Top Bottom