Tank Buddy for a 30" sa rtc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fletberbill

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi guys i want to get a tank buddy for my sa rtc. the tank is 260 uk gallons approx. seem to be getting a lot of conflicting advice. some people say dovii others say no to that, then i've been told 5 large oscars but i think they will just end up as lunch. so any suggestions much appreciated.

thanks in anticipation

hi guys i want to get a tank buddy for my sa rtc.

Mostly Yanks here not sure which fish you are referring to? I can't get past South American??? rtc? species and size if ya don't mind, please.

"Oh lordy lou." (To quote the professor from Futurama--lookin' at ya Kaelen!)

Expect I would have responded if I was around... sorry for the delay though! Sometimes it just takes a push, and good explication.

A RTC is such a hassle. They grow to 4+ feet (though not in a tank, I expect). You're in a bit of a bind, in this case, as your tank is capacious enough for the fish (though in all fairness, a fish that large really needs a HUGE tank over 1000 gallons). But, you would need large tankmates, as the rtcs do eat smaller fish. I'd think about Pacus and Pirhanas size-wise (though I don't think I'd ever *really* recommend a Pacu to anyone!) and perhaps larger Jack Dempseys (10 inch max size). These fish can prob. fend for themselves. Most of the larger SA cichlids would probably survive if mature and moderately aggressive.

Unfortunately, I'd say "think big." :(

BTW. I know at least one other AA member has a RTC and a Tilapia species. Check through old posts for the words "tilapia" and "red tailed catfish" and look for pictures. This might help.

lol i feed him 8 to 10 " tilapias

i have now been advised to go for peacock bass as they grow 2ft plus.

Pacus, I wouldnt recommend, at 260 gallons, thats a push for the RTC alone, a pacu on its own would be too big for that tank, a Dempsey would be too small, an easy meal for that cat, the suggestion of a dovii I think would be your best bet, they get large, but not huge, and can more than stick up for themselves. Best of luck with it

i have been recommended dovii in the past but too agressive for my liking. my redtail is not a nasty fish so i do not need an agressor in the tank i just need something that he can't fit in his mouth

That is the key here, they will eat anything that fits in their mouth, so when you think of its full size that does not leave much. This is why I get annoyed when I see them offered at the LFS, all 4" and cute! People do not realize what they are getting into, though you obviously have done your homework, fletberbill. I too think pacu might work (did I just say that???)

im sorry to say but if there was only one fish on this planet that i could house with him and it was a pacu he would be staying on his own. I really cannot see the attraction with a pacu

yeah have thought about that as my tank is 34" deep but unfortunately they are few and far between can get young one's no problems

IMHO you really don't have room for another large fish fletberbill. That 260g is barely large enough for a 5 foot redtail even if it is UK gallons. I was in Birdworld in Surrey last week, and they had a tank busters tank in their aquarium exhibit. There was one 5 foot redtail, around five 3 foot pacus and an unidentified large cichlid in what had to be a 1000g tank. It was just the right size for that group of fish. And all those fish came from people who discovered they didn't have enough tank space for em.

I've seen them kept in show tanks with some monster snakeheads. They've always peaked my interest.

Holy cow, I just read this thread. You've got a 70 gallon (U.S.) tank with a fish that's about 2 1/2 feet long?!?!

Where do you get the tilapias you feed him? Do you buy them or breed them as feeders?

I would LOVE to see a picture of your tank, fletberbill!

They're large fish Myriam. Channa Asiatica. I've even seen small ones for sale here. They can get over 2 feet.

I really cannot see the attraction with a pacu
Me either, especially when they get big they have little appeal. If you are looking for something appealing as a tankmate, I am at a loss. If it is appealing to me it is probably going to fit in the RTC's mouth! :lol:

Of course Alli's right... do you need tank mates? Does the tank look boring--is that why you're thinking of varying things up?

I'm sure you want some tankmates for the RTC... Can't blame you.

A fully grown Arrowana (2-3 feet) would set fletrbill back hundreds of dollars... Pretty much the case with all of the species, too.

Sigh. Sorry, fletrbill. It's a tough lot in life to have a huge fish as a dependant.

Back
Top Bottom