Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-03-2015, 11:17 AM   #1
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Tank cleaning vs tank watching time

Very busy lately but just realised that I usually spend 2hrs a week on a water change and everything else to do on the tank.

I'm kind of avoiding watching the tank as the canister filters need cleaning but I think I spend more time on maintaining the tank then enjoying it.

Is anyone else in the same boat?

Old 05-03-2015, 12:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, I don't enjoy looking at my tank sometimes because even though all fish are healthy, the scape looks terrible and the tank has a lot of algae, but I know what you mean.

(GBR pair, 3 amano shrimp and a whole bunch of snails!)
Nils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 12:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can't appreciate the sunshine without the rain! I'm a big procrastinator, I'll put things off sometimes that bother me but I still enjoy looking at my tanks
Old 05-03-2015, 02:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I misread this at first that you like maintaining the tank more than watching it. But now I realize you mean you never have time to just watch it! That sucks!

I guess I am lucky, fiddling/maintenance is part of what I enjoy (bet that surprises you not at all)
Old 05-03-2015, 03:25 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
Very busy lately but just realised that I usually spend 2hrs a week on a water change and everything else to do on the tank.

I'm kind of avoiding watching the tank as the canister filters need cleaning but I think I spend more time on maintaining the tank then enjoying it.

Is anyone else in the same boat?
Im in the exact same boat as you dela. But in most cases, things will work out to give you more leisure time. Thats exactly how things are gonna be for me anyways.
Old 05-03-2015, 05:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I enjoy the maintenance of the tanks, it's hard to worry about life when concentrating on siphoning mucky water. But I do make a point of seriously watching the tank for about 10-15 minutes a day, to check everything is ok and to enjoy the results of my labours. My main tank is part of my living space and it would seem strange without it.
Am I the only one who speaks to them though? 😀

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 05-03-2015, 06:06 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thursday's is the day I finish earlier then normal so I head straight home and spend the next 1hr or 2 doing water changes and any trimming or cleaning that's needed.

I leave early before my lights come on and get home most days when they're off. I really only get to appreciate it on a weekend, but in saying that when ever I'm angry or in a bad mood you can find me in my room with the tanks. I just have to turn the lights on.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:40 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotJudd View Post
I enjoy the maintenance of the tanks, it's hard to worry about life when concentrating on siphoning mucky water. But I do make a point of seriously watching the tank for about 10-15 minutes a day, to check everything is ok and to enjoy the results of my labours. My main tank is part of my living space and it would seem strange without it.
Am I the only one who speaks to them though? 😀

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Lol no you're not I yell at my GBR and puffer sometimes to not be such jerks to everything
(GBR pair, 3 amano shrimp and a whole bunch of snails!)
Nils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:45 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I call my ryukin a fat greedy git.

Sent from my Kestrel using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 05-03-2015, 07:52 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I get angry and tell my platy to stop chewing on my hygro, seriously it's chewing new growth to the stem....
Old 05-03-2015, 08:02 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I make weird faces at my betta and coo at my shark XD sorry not sorry. I also enjoy taking care of the tank and fixing my aquascape.

20g long Baby Shark tank
10g Betta
Old 05-03-2015, 08:25 PM   #12
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I think I must enjoy the pwc work (or at least enjoy seeing the results) and normally I enjoy sitting there doing some test results. I'm kind of doing something peaceful.

But lately it's been rush home and put some food in the tank / count the schools - that's about it

I have been trying to feed at more consistent timing which has helped settle the angelfish down. I know it is what it is but last week I got home too late to really feed the fish.

Just tired of the whole lot you know. Roll on some leisure time!

Tags
chi, clean, cleaning, tan, tank, tank cleaning

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com