tank cloud after aragonite added

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

360º

Aquarium Advice FINatic
so i set up a 75 gallon tank and bought 90 pounds of aragonite.

i washed it for about 3 hours straight until the water rain fairly clear.

i added about a third of it into the tank and it got all cloudy.

how can i fix this?

was the tank already set up? i remember when i tried a sw tank, the aragonite was so fine compared to my pfs in my other tanks. It clouded and stayed that way for a couple days until everything settled. I dont see a problem with running the fluval because the sponges catch everything before they hit the impeller... I'd be a little more worried about sand getting in the ac because it hits the impeller then the sponges.

Don't turn on your filter. When I was setting up my 28g I used sand and washed it forever and it was so bad the water was white and yu couldnt even see the background. I waited 7 days it was still extremely cloudy. I hadn't added any fish or done anything with the cycle yet so I did a 100 percent water change and that did the trick. If it's possible for you to do a 100 percent water change I strongly suggest it. The sand had dissolved into the water, and it wouldn't sink to the bottom. So I'd wait 24-48 (any shorter it won't dissolve and you'll have to do another water change any more and you'll have sand stuck to your glass like I did.) hours for it to settle and dissolve into the water and then remove all the water and replace it with clean treated water. I don't recommend turning on the filter until you do the complete water change. I used supernaturals white sand if that matters. Thanks tell me if it works

no fish, brand new tank.... and doing a 100% water change would be a ***** on a 75 gallon..... ill see what i can do

Ok sorry I forgot the size of your tank I just focused on the cloudy water part. I understand now I'd do as large aswatee change as possible. My tank is next to window so it's really is I just siphon the water right out the window and then pull the hose in threw my window and fill it up. Check to see if your lfs has any water clearer such as bio magnet or water clear. It's supposed to make all the sand in the water sink and make your water clear within 48 hours. I didn't try it although my sand included a free bottle. I didn't have any problem changing the water but I can see how difficult that would be for you. Where do you put a tank that big? I'm just wondering because most people have them I their basements.
no fish, brand new tank.... and doing a 100% water change would be a ***** on a 75 gallon..... ill see what i can do

ok so i have it in my basement.

what i did is i got a 20 foot hose and hooked it up to my power head.

did 2 complete water changes and now the water is clear :)

filled it up with my hose.... which was freezing so now allowing it to warm up

Great but what's a powerhead?
ok so i have it in my basement.

what i did is i got a 20 foot hose and hooked it up to my power head.

did 2 complete water changes and now the water is clear :)

filled it up with my hose.... which was freezing so now allowing it to warm up

I just got a 56 gal and same sand no fish. It was cloudy for about 4 days its just now clearing up on the 5th day. I have the filter running though. And this was after thourghouly rinsing the sand as well.

Back
Top Bottom