Tank Clouded Up 3rd Day?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocco Sieffridi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Don't remember a tank clouding up so fast. From crystal clear to cloudy in 2 days? Yes I know about "new tank" syndrome and the "cycle" but we only have 2 pieces a 55 and added about 6 small-med cichlids. Way under the inch per gallon rule. Any advice? Oh, 1 emperor and 1 top fin 250 so plenty of filtration, imo...

White cloudiness is a bacterial bloom, quite normal. You will however need to do frequent water changes with the fish in it to keep the ammonia and nitrite to 0 while cycling with fish for the fish's sake.

I concur, you're seeing a beneficial bacteria bloom. This is a good thing that means your biological filter is developing well.

The inch per gallon rule is a little outdated. There is now specific formula that covers all species together. Its a little odd to think a 10" fish would do fine in a 10 gallon tank. It would touch both ends without much swimming. However, five 2" tetras wouldn't be all you could put in that tank. Plus, if you have cichlids that grow to 4", your tank is more stocked than you think because you must consider adult size.

You should do a partial water change even when its just bacteria, it'll keep the oxygen levels up.

This is true Depot. I have 3, 3 inch oscars with 2, 1 1/2 inch jack demspey and 1, 4 inch plecost. Not too much now but in a year?

Back
Top Bottom