Tank Crash!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomoisawatergod

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well where to start! I used to have a very nice tank. 160l and a variety of nice fish.

< x1 parrot fish (orange)
<x5 upside down cat fish
<x 4 swordtails both male and female

Then one day two weeks ago it all changed and the tanks eco system crashed. I took tank readings the day before this happened and all was economicly stable, as it had been for months before.

But The day after it was time for its water change, 25% as i normaly did around this time each month. This one month I decided to change my water dechlorinater from tetra safe to another treatment, which I wont name. But I think the reason why I am writing this is more of a BEWARE really, on using this new substance which it said on the package it does the same as the tetra variaty.

I did the water change as usual, but noticed that the water was slightly more cloudier then usual. But thought no more of it, thinking that it would settle.

Iwent to work.....

On returning I found my fish tank black! the water turned to a tar consistancy.
The fish dead.

Beware of cheaper brands is my message.

I defantly will from now on!!

Well where to start! I used to have a very nice tank. 160l and a variety of nice fish.

< x1 parrot fish (orange)
<x5 upside down cat fish
<x 4 swordtails both male and female

Then one day two weeks ago it all changed and the tanks eco system crashed. I took tank readings the day before this happened and all was economicly stable, as it had been for months before.

But The day after it was time for its water change, 25% as i normaly did around this time each month. This one month I decided to change my water dechlorinater from tetra safe to another treatment, which I wont name. But I think the reason why I am writing this is more of a BEWARE really, on using this new substance which it said on the package it does the same as the tetra variaty.

I did the water change as usual, but noticed that the water was slightly more cloudier then usual. But thought no more of it, thinking that it would settle.

Iwent to work.....

On returning I found my fish tank black! the water turned to a tar consistancy.
The fish dead.

Beware of cheaper brands is my message.

I defantly will from now on!!

Wow...I don't know what to say other than you probably should do a water change more than once a month. I use tetra safe myself and it works fine, although there are better brands.

The tank and its water paramiters have always been fine on that amount of water change, but will do it more if its recomended next time.

Yeah tetra was the brand I used before, but I changed it to try and find a better deal (a cheaper one).

Will defantly stick with it next time!

The water was still liquid, but on the top was scummy black tarry stuff.

Looked like the there was no oxygen in the water at all.

Filter was blocked up with the substance to!

tomoisawatergod said:
The water was still liquid, but on the top was scummy black tarry stuff.

Looked like the there was no oxygen in the water at all.

Filter was blocked up with the substance to!

Weird... Still curious as to what it is you used though.

I would recommend water changes be done every week, every two weeks at minimum, but your tank cashing like that, I don't understand why the water would suddenly turn black after a water change. I use Prime with my water changes because you don't have to use as much at a time and it detoxifies more bad elements in the water than the tetra stuff.
Sorry to hear such a bad problem

Yeah I was gutted to say the least. Thanks for the advice will defantly change water more regular in the future.

I will post a picture of the stuff when I get home. I'm in the middle of talking to the makers and see what they say. Luckily there is still alot of it in the bottle, so hopfully they can check it to see if it was a malfunction in their product.

I can't think that it is anything else. Becase my tank ran fine when i used the tetra brand.

Will not be making this mistake again.

Can you please just post the name of the product?

Honestly, all this dragging out and mystery..... it's like waiting for a kiss on your first date. :rolleyes:

It would be nice for us to know what this stuff is so that we don't end up crashing our tanks with it, I am also curious what the manufacturer has to say about it

The lable says:

Achi
suitable for fresh water and marine aquariums

neturalises chlorine and metals within the water

As I said I choose it due to the price was right big mistake.

found on e-bay a few months prior by my mother- who was going to use it on her tank... She decided against due it looking hceap

Lesson learned.

Manufacturer has been e-mail waiting for a reply.

This is strictly my opinion, but I wouldn't buy anything going in your aquarium on eBay. You really don't know where it came from, for all you know it could be a knock-off. Now this isn't the case all the time, but I still like buying from stores better. Walmart sells tetra safe. (that's where I got mine)

Absolutely zero comes up when you google this stuff. Never a good sign.

For all you know, you poured motor oil into your tank. I'm very sorry you went through this, but I'm sure it was a very valuable lesson learned.

You should contact the seller on ebay and let them know. This could have been very innocent on their part in selling this product.

They have been e-mailed, but as yet no contact has been made by them.

As i said the loss of the fish is the worst that happened.

This is a mistake never to be made again!

Im devastated for you! Think i'll stick to the tried and tested makes. I like Tetra Aqua Safe, but also like Nitrafin Aquaplus. Interpet makes a very decent conditioner that you add slightly less as compared woth Tetras. I believe Waterlife does one called Haloex(?). I used it years ago and if I remember correctly, you only use a few drops as apose to milimeters of treatment for the others.

Back
Top Bottom