Tank cycle! What now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

briemol12

Aquarium Advice Freak
I made a post couple days ago asking people their opinion if my tank was fully cycle. Most of them said that my reading were off because my nitrates were at 0 that I was doing my test wrong and that I haven't had a nitrate spikes. Which I did because I had high nitrites and nitrates for almost 3 weeks and I was doing 70% water change every 2 days. So, I've been testing my water for like 7 days now and I've gotten the same reading and I am pretty confident that my tank is cycle.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422465351.842501.jpg
Here is this mornings test :)

I need some advice on how to take care of a fish tank that is already cycle. Share with me your knowledge.
Thanks ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422465411.597559.jpg

I need some advice on how to take care of a fish tank that is already cycle. Share with me your knowledge.
Thanks View attachment 262558[/QUOTE]

What would you like to know? I think it sort of depends on what kind and how many fish you have. I'm new, but I feel confident in saying weekly water changes should be part of your routine. Once my tanks are cycled and stocked, I vacuum/clean and do a larger pwc on weekends and a smaller pwc during the week to keep nitrates down.

I'm no professional, my new tank is still in a fish less cycle, but I'm almost positive (someone back me up) that your nitrates will not read 0 at the end of your cycle. There will be some form of reading even if it is just 5.

Caleb

Might have a slight obsession with my fish

Your Tank

I made a post couple days ago asking people their opinion if my tank was fully cycle. Most of them said that my reading were off because my nitrates were at 0 that I was doing my test wrong and that I haven't had a nitrate spikes. Which I did because I had high nitrites and nitrates for almost 3 weeks and I was doing 70% water change every 2 days. So, I've been testing my water for like 7 days now and I've gotten the same reading and I am pretty confident that my tank is cycle.
View attachment 262557
Here is this mornings test :)

Thanks View attachment 262558

Hello brie...

If your tank is cycled and properly stocked with fish and plants, then all you need to do is maintain pure water conditions to make sure the fish and plants stay healthy. The easiest and best way is to remove and replace half the water in the tank every week. Use a good water treatment to remove the chlorine and chloramine the public water people put into the tap to make the water safe to drink. Seachem's "Safe" is likely the best treatment.

Have fun!

B

Thanks View attachment 262558

What would you like to know? I think it sort of depends on what kind and how many fish you have. I'm new, but I feel confident in saying weekly water changes should be part of your routine. Once my tanks are cycled and stocked, I vacuum/clean and do a larger pwc on weekends and a smaller pwc during the week to keep nitrates down.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I hear that weekly WC are a must to keep the water clean and of course vacuum the gravel to maintain clean.
I am just curious what people do to keep it clean and not having problems in the future.
I have a 20 gallon and fully stocked.
I have neon tetras, mollies, balloon mollies, platty, dwarf gourami, Cory catfish, 3 small babies.
Would like to add 2 more Cory catfish since the other one die in the process sadly.

I'm no professional, my new tank is still in a fish less cycle, but I'm almost positive (someone back me up) that your nitrates will not read 0 at the end of your cycle. There will be some form of reading even if it is just 5.

Caleb

Might have a slight obsession with my fish

I did 70% water change for almost 3 weeks every 2 days. I test the tap water that I use to do water change and to my surprise there were 0 nitrates and 0 nitrates. The tap water that I use its really clean.

Hello brie...

If your tank is cycled and properly stocked with fish and plants, then all you need to do is maintain pure water conditions to make sure the fish and plants stay healthy. The easiest and best way is to remove and replace half the water in the tank every week. Use a good water treatment to remove the chlorine and chloramine the public water people put into the tap to make the water safe to drink. Seachem's "Safe" is likely the best treatment.

Have fun!

B

Thank you! Will be doing my weekly WC :)

Back
Top Bottom