Tank cycled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Redrob

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I was having issues with my tank cycling for over two weeks my tank numbers were 0 ammonia 3 nitrite and 10 nitrate. I decided to not do a water change for about a week and a half just to see if it was because I was doing them too often (once a week). Now checking it today I was happy my my 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites but now I also have 0 nitrates!!!! Is that possible? I use fake plants I do have a bit of visible green hair algae on a big fake piece of driftwood but rest of tank is clean. Could the algae be lowering my nitrates? I know real plants can. Did my tank cycle? Thanks for the help everyone

Sent from my VS985 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I am assuming this is a fishless cycle. I would do two things:
1. Retest the nitrates. Be sure to shake the reactant bottles vigorously prior to adding to the test tube.
2. Add more ammonia to 2-4 ppm and see how long it takes to get to 0/0/X (ammonia/nitrite/nitrate). No water changes at this time.
While it is possible that the algae utilized some of the nitrate, we need to rule out user testing and dilution first.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No I have fish

In that case, I would re-check the nitrates (shake, shake, shake).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Gotta love api test kit lol

Back
Top Bottom