Tank cycled, need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemmiWinks

Aquarium Advice Regular
7 weeks later my 29 gallon tank is cycled..now what!? Do i do a giant water change? Also while staring at my empty tank over those 7 weeks i realized i want a more natural look and would like to swap out my gravel, will this kill my cycle? i was thinking about taking most of the gravel out and maybe putting it in a giant bag with holes and let it sit on the new gravel, will this work or will it hurt my cycle?

7 weeks later my 29 gallon tank is cycled..now what!? Do i do a giant water change? Also while staring at my empty tank over those 7 weeks i realized i want a more natural look and would like to swap out my gravel, will this kill my cycle? i was thinking about taking most of the gravel out and maybe putting it in a giant bag with holes and let it sit on the new gravel, will this work or will it hurt my cycle?

Once your tank is cycled, a weekly 25% PWC's pretty much all you need. Large water changes should only be if you find ammo / nitrites or large nitrates.

As for switching the gravel ... doing it in one shot could lead to a mini-cycle since a good number of BB live in the substrate. However an empty tank is also the best time to do it since no fish would be harmed by a mini-cycle / ammo spike. I'd say go for it ... but be prepared for more testing and PWC's.
You could do it in 1/3 ... change 1/3 now ... wait a week for the BB to establish, do another 1/3 ect. What are you looking to change the substrate to? A different type of gravel? sand? ... just curious.

The key at the end of your cycle is to do a big enough pwc to get nitrAtes below 20. If you've got the heater cranked up for the cycle, remember to turn it down.

Switching substrates is likely to cause a mini-cycle, but as long as you keep a sharp eye on your levels and are prepared to do pwc's as necessary...it won't be the end of the world. Right after your cycle ends is a delicate balance point, so it's not the best time to make changes...but if you have the option of switching the gravel, then testing your BB with the lure ammo a few times you should be good to go. Leaving some of the gravel in the yank will be a help, but I wouldn't believe having it in a bag with holes is going to be as efficient as it was.

Did you cycle at 4ppm? If so, losing the BB in the substrate shouldn't have a major impact on your ability to keep the tank stable. 4ppm is designed to be overkill and grow enough nitrifying bacteria to handle a huge bio-load all at first.

Personally I'd hold off on fish for a few more days, switch the substrate, continue to dose the ammonia to ~3ppm and make sure it can be dropped within 24 hours.

Check out the guide and FAQ in my signature for a bit more info :)

*Same time, good answer Jose :)

Back
Top Bottom