Tank Cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danio8

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have had a 20 gallon high for about 4 weeks now. There is 1 goldfish in it and a recently added Amazon Sword that is doing well. Diatoms started growing on it about a week ago. I have been testing the water about 4 or 5 times a week with the API master kit. My ammonia just started going down yesterday, my nitrite was absolutely 0, and my nitrate was slightly orange (maybe around 2 or 3 ppm). I tested the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate today again today and there is practically no ammonia. Less that the .25 on the chart. The nitrite reads 0 (not even the slightest tint of purple) and the nitrate is about 5. From my frequent testing, I am pretty sure my tank never had nitrite yet the nitrate is climbing. Is this normal? As far as I can tell, this isn't how a tank should be cycling. Any thoughts???

Better Nitrate than Nitrite. Yes, I would say that you are on the right track. I used to keep Goldfish years ago and they will live a long time if you take care of them.

I see that you have a plant in the tank, so I am leaving what I have learned below.

Plants Goldfish will not eat:
Plants that do well with Goldfish are Nupher Luteum (Yellow water lillies) and Sagittaria Latifolia (Giant Arrow Head). Goldfish do not seem to like eating water lillies and the Sagittaria is usually a little tough for them to eat.

Fast Growing Plants that Goldfish will eat:
Egeria Densa (Anacharis), Ceratophyllum Demersum (hornwort), and Lysimachia Nummularia (creeping Jenny). They also love Duckweed.

Back
Top Bottom