i'm happy to report that the nitrite for my 29 gallon finally hit the 0ppm mark. i guess the nitrosomes (that's what they're called right?) are doing nicely and have enough to consume.
unfortunately, the ammonia's still high. it's registering at 1.5mg/l or 1.5ppm. since the pH is still vacillates between 6 and 6.4 (currently at 6.4 because of a water top off.) according to this NH3
/NH4 calculator, http://cobweb.ecn.purdue.edu/~piwc/w3-research/free-ammonia/nh3.html
, the NH3
is around 0.06ppm, which is in the "Alert" range according to the seachem indicator disc. as a result, i'm still adding Amquel+ (on my 5th bottle since i started this tank about two and a half to three months ago.)
any ideas on why the ammonia's still high? i feed them only small portions, and they eat everything, even picking through the substrate to get to food.
i thought the ammonia goes to zero first, and then the nitrites go to zero.