tank decor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_newbie

Aquarium Advice Activist
hello fellow fish enthusiasts! =)

are decor for reptile terrariums ok to use in aquariums? cause they seem to have better stuff and its cheaper. and about those aponogeton bulb things. do u have to use fertilizer? the LFS people told me that they have enough nutrients to handle themselves till the grow into adult plants.

In response to your decor question:
You're probably referring to the plastic ornaments and plants. In terms of toxicity, if it's labeled safe for the reptile terrarium, then it should also be safe for the aquarium.

BUT, inspect the piece very carefully to make sure there are no sharp edges or tight spaces that can trap small fish. I use a Dremel rotary tool to file down edges and widen openings on my resin ornaments. Also, some reptilian decorations (like plastic desert plants) tend to float - make sure you can return them if you can't secure them to the substrate.

aponogeton bulbs dont seem to need firtilizer. Mine are growing like weeds without it.
Asked a lfs about reptile driftwood and if it was safe to use. She said she wouldn't trust it. The plastic stuff should be ok.

Be careful, I know the petsmart plastic driftwood for reptiles is treated. Read the label, it should say "not for aquarium use" or something along those lines. If it doesn't, I would soak it for a week in a bucket of water, changing the water daily, just to be safe.

Back
Top Bottom