Tank discoloration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gordo124

Aquarium Advice Activist
Added a piece of drift wood to my 29 g about 5 days ago and it has released alot of tannins...
When and how is this going to go away?

bud29 said:
It Will eventually clear up....if you want to, you could boil it or soak it so less will come out into the tank.

Yea i did boil it already for 2 hours each day... For 3 or 4 days.. And its still floating! Its like some air has returned into the wood...

Some driftwood never sinks. Some pieces take a long time. You never know. That is why I am a fan of mopani wood, as it is guaranteed to sink.

Weigh it down with some large stones for a few weeks/months. That should do the trick. You can also screw some slate to the bottom to keep it down. You'll need to do water changes to remove the tannin. Carbon can help remove some also.

Malaysian and Mopani driftwood usually sink right from the get-go. What kind of driftwood is it?

DavidAl said:
Malaysian and Mopani driftwood usually sink right from the get-go. What kind of driftwood is it?

Didnt say... But i saw the mopani wood and it is realy expensive... I would like to check out malaysian DW ... I have seen it in pics and they look pretty good... I dont know if petsmart or petco sells them though..

Mumma.of.two said:
Weigh it down with some large stones for a few weeks/months. That should do the trick. You can also screw some slate to the bottom to keep it down. You'll need to do water changes to remove the tannin. Carbon can help remove some also.

I have a rock on it right now... Just saying that it was starting to sink before i put it in the tank, and now it floats straight to the top as soon as i take the rock off...

Gordo124 said:
Is grape wood a good wood to use?

It all depends on where you acquire the grape wood/vines at, a fresh cut piece can take quite a while to prepare for the aquarium. I have read articles on a time span of almost a year to make sure that the vine would be safe for the aquarium. It is also a softer wood so it can be subject to rotting easily in the tank.

I love driftwood, but I hate tanin, especially when people say "your tank is so dirty." :banghead:

I've had a piece of drift wood in my 36 gallon for almost two month, it is still releasing tanins, I bought it at Petco and it was in a tank at that time. I do a partial water change each week.

butterfly_koi said:
It all depends on where you acquire the grape wood/vines at, a fresh cut piece can take quite a while to prepare for the aquarium. I have read articles on a time span of almost a year to make sure that the vine would be safe for the aquarium. It is also a softer wood so it can be subject to rotting easily in the tank.

Yea i think i may have grape wood.. Because i looked it up on petsmart.com (where i bought it) and it is at the same price that i bought mine for...

I personally like manzanita wood because of the colors on curves here is a pic of my 29 gallon with it.

image-1948209752.jpg

PC1 said:
Try manzanita, it usually only releases a little bit of tannins and then stops :fish2:

Thanks for the suggestion! I will have to check my lfs for them.

Unfortunately highly doubtful your LFS will have it in Hawaii. Point them to my website maybe they will carry it for you I do sell to shops here on the mainland.

BlaseMrNiceguy said:
I personally like manzanita wood because of the colors on curves here is a pic of my 29 gallon with it.

Stunning piece, would kill for a bit like that.

Back
Top Bottom