Tank Donated to me, need help identifying fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matthewvl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
could somebody please help me identify the fish in my tank. this tank was given to me by a neighbor who was moving. I know I have two cilchlids but dont know what kind about 5-6 inches, one pleco 5-6 inches dont know what kind, one catfish with wiskers 3 or so inches dont know what kind, and one striped black/yellow fish about 4 inches. sorry for the bad pictures, I tried taking the best pictures I could but they obviously wont stop moving for me. I know what the general kinds of fish i have are, but I would lke to know the specifics on them. thanks.

Attachments

• done5_154.jpg
    done5_154.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 37
  • done2_149.jpg
    done2_149.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 34
  • done6_107.jpg
    done6_107.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 28
  • done4_283.jpg
    done4_283.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 25
  • done1_289.jpg
    done1_289.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 27
  • done3_107.jpg
    done3_107.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 28
top 2 are plecos

bottom one looks like a cory cat.

the others are all cichlids, not sure what kinds.

I apologize for the ambiguity, some of the pictures are repeats of the same fish. I took multiple shots to help identify more easily. I understand that those are plecos but upon researching I have noticed that there are many different kinds of plecos, or so I think. I'm curious to know what kind. Also I'm fairly sure the striped one (5th picture down) is not a cichlid. I would like to know specifics of all of them so I can learn what size they will become, agression, eating and so forth. Clicking on the pictures although I'm sure most people know this already might help to see the subtle details of each fish in helping to identify. Thanks again.

The top 2 pics are plecos, look like common plecos, none of the fancy plecos you've probably seen online. Pictures 2 and 3 are african cichlids, usually fairly aggressive, prefer fairly hard, alkaline (pH above 7, usually 8.2) water. The fifth picture is a leporinus, mildly aggressive, more for territoriality than anything. Love's a cave it can call its own. They can get fairly big, like 12 inches. The last picture is either a pictus catfish or synodontis catfish. They like to school, with other pictus, this will also cause them to be more active and visable in your tank.

there's some good info here:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/categ.cfm?pCatId=830

Two of those fish get fairly large (pleco and leporinus), so I'm wondering if the tank is big enough for them. What size is it? If you aren't sure, can you measure it (length, width, height) and we can help you figure it out.

The blue cichlid may be Pseudotropheus demasoni like this one. I can't ID the yellow one because I haven't seen one like that before personally.

Be careful with the Banded Leporinus, they can become very aggressive when older

thanks a lot for a lot of great info. the tank is 55g. that one blue cichlid that was indentified looks very similar to the one JustOneMore20 pointed out including the stripes which are hard to recognize in my picture. But that site says the max size is 2.5 and those are already 5-6 inches. The cichlids are some sort of african type. Also how big can I expect the pleco and cichlids to get? And could I add one creature to the tank such as an adf, acf, some kind of crab, snail, shrimp, crayfish, etc. Those guys are always fun to have so let me know.

Sorry...should've paid more attention to the lengths.

The pleco looks like a common pleco, so it will probably get around 12 inches, or atleast in the neighborhood of 12.

Not sure about the cichlids. If they are 5-6 inches already, I wouldn't think they would get over 7", but I could be wrong. I am not one who knows alot about cichlids.

I would not add any adf's, acf's, or shrimp, as they will most likely get eaten or killed. Not sure about a cray. Snails would be fine.

If you can get a correct ID on the cichlids, you could probably add more depending on the aggression of the ones you have. I'd get some rocks to make some caves, so they can have their own territories.

The blue African Cichlid is a Cobalt. The other one is a "mut". It's a mix breed. The pattern is not significant to any particular specie.

Back
Top Bottom