Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-23-2012, 11:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Tank Frame

Ok so I will try and make this as short as possible I have a 20 gallon long tank and I want to upgrade the light and add another filter. Seems easy enough right? No...The top frame where a light would either attach or fit down into is non existent it must have either been broken off or chewed off. So right now I just have a screen top on it with a basic strip light which makes it super hard to put different filters in. Right now it just has a filter that sits inside the tank and I made it to where the screen will still close semi flat. Can the top frame be replaced or is there anything easier I could do to try and fix this? Or is there a light that doesnt need that little lip to attach? The whole top frame is there but the little lip inside is just all mangled :/ Thank you! And Happy Belated Thanksgiving

Old 11-23-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

It is indeed possible to replace the top trim of the tank, it's relatively inexpensive an there are lots of tools and instructions online you can use (I had a 30g breeder without the trim at all! So I've done some research on this hehe) however, it is quite time consuming. There are loads of tank lights you can find online and perhaps at a tee or aquarium store nearby that are specifically designed for tanks without the trim.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/top...flfixtures.htm

That is just a few options but will give you an idea of what to look for. Good luck!!!

Old 11-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

As stated you could purchase a rim frame for the 20. Alot of hobbiests like the Rimless look though. I'm just throwing an idea out there but if you went with a small canister filter and suspended the lighting it would make that 20 pop. I can't provide a link for you but if your interested just Google "Rimless aquariums"
Old 11-24-2012, 03:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thank you guys very much! Is there any concern about the tank breaking or anything without the rim?
Old 11-24-2012, 03:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Also tippy I dont know if any of those lights will work because dont they need the top frame or something to attach to the tank? I know the one on my 40 gallon needs the lip to kind of screw onto to hold it in place.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

There is an aqueon dual t5 that wouldn't need a rim, it has little metal legs that stick out over the side and they're adjustable, I have it and love the light. It's super bright and works really well for everything I've tried to grow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1256872787.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	133738   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2875137846.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	133739  

Zimmanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:23 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

With a tank that size it should be ok structurally without the rim, although it does diminish the integrity of it just a bit.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:24 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok because I have two big dogs and a child lol I wouldnt wanna wake up to 20 gallons on the floor! Also I wanted to get a platice top to cover the tank so no one jumped out (or in) could it be possible without a frame?
Old 11-26-2012, 05:25 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Plastic* sorry! Like those clear glass/plastic covers for tanks

Tags
frame, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com