Tank frothing up like a bubble bath.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

William

Aquarium Advice Addict
Rest assured, first and formost there is no soap of any type in the water.

Now, that thats aside, my 29gal with the new Penguine 170 has developed since I put the new filter on, a constant, never ending froth on the top of the water.

the froth is like 2 inches thick, and is made up of a myraid of different sized bubbles, some huge some tiny.

What I want to know is what causes it, and more importantly how to get rid of it?

The only reason its not spread over the ENTIRE surface area of the tank water is because a large chunk of floating driftwood blocking off half of the tanks surface water, it prevents the froth from floating all the way to the other end.

Did you wash the filter before you put it on the tank? Nothing else comes to mind right away that could have caused it. Maybe some stuff left over from manufacturing in the filter housing?

But if it was such a contaminate wouldn't it be affected my livestock? and their all doing fine, 'cept for the female betta which just has to swim to the other side of the tank for a breather.

Not necessarily. It may not be toxic. I know it's not much, but it's the only thing I can think of since the only change you made was to add the new filter :oops: .

William,

Turn off the filter, scoop out the "foam", and then turn the filter back on. If it comes back take the filter powerhead and all out rinse them well (don't submerge it), and put it back in.

i had that happen once, cause i accidently put too much chemicals *normal remove tap water and odors chemicals"... went away after about a week or so.

I don't have a power head... o_o;

he dechlorinator makes it happen? Well, That could be... I never thought dechorinator would froth up tho..

William, what justmy2cents is referring to as a "powerhead" in a filter is a pump that moves water through the filter. Any powerhead is just a water pump and there is one inside the filter.

Do the foam bubbles have a "rainbow" effect? If not... maybe you have a ton of DOC's and a lot of water agitation making a nice layer of foam?

I am suspicious of the driftwood being the culprit, if not the dechlor. I had this happen when I used to use Stress Coat, but my money is on the wood. If you keep your water level high so there is minima splashing it will likely reduce the bubbling effect, and water changes should improve the condition, provided the source is eliminated.

TankGirl said:
I am suspicious of the driftwood being the culprit, if not the dechlor. I had this happen when I used to use Stress Coat, but my money is on the wood. If you keep your water level high so there is minima splashing it will likely reduce the bubbling effect, and water changes should improve the condition, provided the source is eliminated.

That's a good point. Hadn't thought about the driftwood :oops:

snapcrackler said:
Do the foam bubbles have a "rainbow" effect? If not... maybe you have a ton of DOC's and a lot of water agitation making a nice layer of foam?

They do have a rainbow effect..

Back
Top Bottom