Tank heaters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SteveJP

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, it's getting colder, here in northern Ohio, and its time for me to buy a heater for my fw community tank. Is there a heater that the forum favors? I was looking into ordering an ViaAqua 300 watt quartz glass submersible heater (I have a 45 gallon tank). Does anyone have good/bad recommendations for this heater? Any help would be great:)

Not sure on them but if you do buy that one I would suggest buying it off of amazon.com

Is there anything special I have to watch for with a glass heater? I've used the Aqueon plastic ones on my small tanks and they were just plug in and enjoy. I saw on amazon.com that the ViaAqua 300watt was ~$16, and I didn't know if it was a worth while deal

I'm fairly new to them myself. I bought mine based on reviews. I've only had it about a month. This is just plug in, set temp and it regulates itself.

I like the aqueon pro heaters because they're not glass and mine has been working great for a year or so

A heads up on heaters w/ glass, when you do a water change, unplug it. Exposing it to air could cause it to shatter.

That being said, I have an Aqueon Pro. What I like about it is the LED that indicates whether it is heating or simply in standby. It also has a (somewhat) more precise controller at the top that allows you to specify a temp via a dial (instead of on some heaters that just have + or - on the dial).

Yeah that's a true statement. Forgot to turn my heater off three days ago. Ended in the heater to smash and me running down to the pet shop :mad:

Yeah that's a true statement. Forgot to turn my heater off three days ago. Ended in the heater to smash and me running down to the pet shop :mad:

Ugh, that sucks :( I make it a habit to always unplug mine when I pull the plug on my filters. Even though the Aqueon says it's glass-free, I do it in the event that if one day I have a heater that has glass in it, I'm used to unplugging it.

Back
Top Bottom