Tank in Bonus Room

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davidtcb1

Aquarium Advice Activist
Am considering adding another 75 gallon grow-out tank to my bonus room over my garage. Would likely have only about an inch of substrate and plastic decor/driftwood/stumps, etc. Does anyone else have this setup in a bonus room and do you think weight-wise it would be ok?

Thanks!

I have a 55gallon cichlid tank with LOTS of rocks in my bonus room above my garage. I also have it right next to my armoire that has my tv in it....not a single problem. I dont see a problem with it. you could check with your builder to find out what supports it. I took pictures of the building process of my house so I can see exactly what is below, and its very well supported.

i'm sure that it would be fine, just make sure that you have it running perpendicular to the support beams, it should be just fine.

i have a 55, 2 20s, and 3 tens all on one wall in my 2nd floor apartment. They have been set up for almost a year with no problems.

So long as it is on a load bearing wall, and set up right on the support beams, you should be fine.

HTH!

I'm always so confused when people talk about this stuff. I live in California, where we have tiny, single story homes and pay through the nose for them. If a tank falls through the ground, you have a hole in your foundation.

theotheragentm said:
I'm always so confused when people talk about this stuff. I live in California, where we have tiny, single story homes and pay through the nose for them. If a tank falls through the ground, you have a hole in your foundation.
if you room is on the gound(right on the concreat foundation, with no spce underneath0 then you should be fine...but if you have a basement or a crawlspace under the floor then you have to worry... i think if you live in a place where the ground freezes in the winter you need that space between your floor and the foundation, but i am not a building expert.

JDogg said:
theotheragentm said:
if you room is on the gound(right on the concreat foundation, with no spce underneath0 then you should be fine...but if you have a basement or a crawlspace under the floor then you have to worry... i think if you live in a place where the ground freezes in the winter you need that space between your floor and the foundation, but i am not a building expert.

Yeah, I live along the beach, so no freezing weather here. It's 61 degrees currently, and I think it's cold. I haven't seen too many houses with crawl spaces anymore.

Thanks all for your input...I think it's going to be fine. I've still got some investigating to do in terms of which way the supports/joists run. I'm not the original owner of the house so I didn't see it go up in person, but may be able to make some calls if I need to take it that far.

I live in TN and most houses have crawl spaces, except for the smaller newer ones which are often built on slabs. Basements are becoming more rare as it becomes more expensive to blast down through the limestone to put one in, but a lot of larger homes have them...not as typical as say the Midwest, but you can still find them on newer homes if you look. We call the room over the garage a bonus room, other parts of the country call it different things.

All I know is I've gotta find a place for my 4th tank!

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom