Tank invaders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wayne1

Aquarium Advice Regular
OMG snails everywhere overnight, guys please give me some options for getting rid. I noticed one on the glass last night and took him out thinking that would be that. This morning I was faced with about six of his buddy's. Guess maybe they formed a search party. How can I stop this situation getting out of control???

My brother in law found a few in his tank he took them out but they were always coming back he opened his filter to clean it and it was full of eggs and snails there was hundreds he just washed everything and I don't think he has had anymore

OMG snails everywhere overnight, guys please give me some options for getting rid. I noticed one on the glass last night and took him out thinking that would be that. This morning I was faced with about six of his buddy's. Guess maybe they formed a search party. How can I stop this situation getting out of control???

They usually come with newly introduced plants. There are many methods to getting rid of them if you don't like them. They are harmless but will probably get out of control in the end.

I recommend the assassin snail.

Assassins will hunt down and eradicate any pest snail in your tank, they're awesome!

image-1806281275.jpg

Yes they like to burrow also as part of their ambush but they will chase down pest snails usually at night.

For burrowing reasons they would probably prefer extra fine gravel or sand but it's not a must.

They do breed but very slowly. It would be months before you noticed a new arrival.

Once all snails are gone it's best to supplement them with algae wafers although they will probably feed on micro algae and biofilm like other snails.

I found once I had cleaner out all filters of them that 2 clown loaches was all I needed to stop them, I haven't seen 1 since and loaches have since died due local petbarn giving me WRONG info on antibiotics for fin rot, this was about 6 months ago now.

I found once I had cleaner out all filters of them that 2 clown loaches was all I needed to stop them, I haven't seen 1 since and loaches have since died due local petbarn giving me WRONG info on antibiotics for fin rot, this was about 6 months ago now.
clowns are not really an option for anyone with a tank smaller than 75 gallons..

Assasin snails sound like the way to go for me. Are they likely to be inside my filter? My tanks literally just done cycling so I'm a bit nervous about cleaning the filter

I have 40 gallon tank and the 2 were great in there.

I had a snail explosion in my new little 10g tank and I found that just picking out a handful every day for a few days really brought the population down. I didn't want to get rid of all of them since, they did seem to be cleaning up the algae. Higher maintenance than an assassin snail (which I'm also thinking about doing) but as a short term solution it was effective.

Cheers guys, just got 4 assasin snails from my lfs. Gonna see if they keep my little hitchhikers under control

Does anyone know how I introduce them to the tank?? Do I just do it the same way as adding fish?

Does anyone know how I introduce them to the tank?? Do I just do it the same way as adding fish?

Yes just treat them the same. If you ever treat for disease just know that certain medications are harmful towards snails (as it is to fish with prolonged exposure) but snails can be killed using certain meds so always read the bottle.

Cheers guys, just got 4 assasin snails from my lfs. Gonna see if they keep my little hitchhikers under control

They definitely will but I would have let the population expand first then added the assassins. Don't expect results straight away. They will do their job in time.

YOYO Loaches are also great for de-snailing. Don't get as big as the Clowns, but have all the personality!

If you find the assassins are overwhelmed or not getting enough of the snails immediately, you can put a clean piece of lettuce in your tank before bed. In the morning, it should be covered in snails. Take it out, destroy them, and throw them away.

This is a good method but 2 assassins brought a ridiculous infestation down to 0 in a few months and had a baby :)

The point is there's no point adding assassins to do a job them doing it for them. Leaving them to feast on the snails means they don't have to be supplemented for a while.

Back
Top Bottom