Tank is cycling, what fish to get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Posivated

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just started cycling my 20 gallon long tank and would like to figure out what fish to get when its ready. I will have at least 5 black skirt tetras and a Chinese algae eater from my old tank. My current idea is to fill it the rest of the way with some Cichlids, but I'm open to new ideas/suggestions. I also plan to have live plants down the road, so something that will work them would be a good idea. I also had a sorta off topic question and was wondering why there is a forum dedicated to Cichlids?

I don't really have 100% known answers to your stocking questions. But there are so many different kinds of cichlids, African cichlids (probably 200+ different breeds), South American cichlids, new world cichlids, etc. so that is probably why there's a thread for them only. In a 20 gallon long you can probably buy some dwarf cichlids but idk how they interact with tetras.

There is a really neat dwarf cichlid I found out about recently. Let me find the name again and I'll let you know.

You can't get any cichlids for your tank. Unless you get ride of the tetras and do 4 to 6 shell dweller cichlids. 20 gallons is just too small for 90% of cichlids. My recommendation would be to get a school of small cories, and a dwarf gourami.

Maybe a couple of kribensis cichlids and one or two silver dollars instead of tetras

Why would the AqAdvisor recommend Cichlids if they wouldnt fit in my tank? Theres like 20 different kinds that it says I can have.

Maybe a couple of kribensis cichlids and one or two silver dollars instead of tetras

I personally think that silver dollars in a 20 is a big no no. You would be asking for trouble; they get huge and prefer to be in groups of 6 or more. As mentioned a 20 gal long isnt a very big tank. Aquadvisor is a basic guide more than anything else. The sugesstions are often given for juveniles of the selected species. It doesnt take into account that once filled with substrate, plants, bogwood, ornements etc. the tank will hold nowhere near 20 gallons of water and the room inside it shall be far less than the standard measurements of the empty tank. There are an array of species that will thrive in a 20 that are not cichlids. All the best

Alrighty then, was under the impression that it was more reliable than it apparently is. Well, any other suggestions other than cichlids would be gerat, thanks.

tetras, pigmy cory cats, dwarf gourami's, platy's, molly's, guppies, shrimp (depending on the rest of your stock), snails, and if you are experienced and have a fully cycled tank and are good about water changes and cleaning you can maybe get 1 German Blue Ram or Bolivian Ram.

This is just a list of options, not that you can fill your tank with all of these. :)

Alrighty then, was under the impression that it was more reliable than it apparently is. Well, any other suggestions other than cichlids would be gerat, thanks.

You could get any ram cichlid in there, I would get a pair if possible. You could get a couple smaller africans but like stated before you would need the other fish gone. You could get a snall school of cories for the bottom and your tetras and maybe some shrimp or something?

Is there another database or website that has fish compatibility that anyone knows of?

If there are 200+ species of cichlid
and 90% wont fit in a 20 gallon tank (which leaves 10%)
and AqAdvisor list 20 species appropriate for a 20 gallon....

Math seems right to me.
Id probably research and double check what AqAdvisor recommends, though.

Also, while its just meant as a guideline, AqAdvisor is taking average adult sizes in mind when it does its calculations. There is a button you can press if you want it to factor juvenile sizes.

Back
Top Bottom