Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-18-2011, 03:42 PM   #1
mus
Aquarium Advice Regular

tank is not cycling

I have read about the cycle and understand it but, its been a few weeks now and i am not at the nitrite stage, ammonia readings is between 0.25 and 1.5mg/l. Is there such thing as too much ammonia it wont cycle etc.

I know its bad for the fish but in terms of the bacteria which level should the ammonia be for the benefitial bacteria to develop and for nitrites ro appear.

Tank is 54ltr and 5 small fish, i can balance the ammonia level by water changes and taking out some fish but i need help learning the best levels thanks.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:47 PM   #2
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Performing PWCs will not slow the cycle down. You want to keep the ammonia as low as possible. The tank will eventually cycle. It is not uncommon for it to take more than a few weeks to cycle a tank, especially when doing it with fish. The goal when cycling with fish should be 0.25 or less mg/l.

Take a look at this thread:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...tml#post983258

It may shed more light on how to cycle your tank with fish.
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycling, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com