Tank just cycled, now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thomasina

Aquarium Advice Freak
First, thanks to all who helped me get this far! Tank cycled yesterday. Now I have the question, when do I do water changes? Some, including books, say one week, two weeks, or when the Ammo. levels are starting to rise. Would appreciated all input!! Thanks!

I don't remember.. was this a fish in cycle or fishless?

If it was fish in then usually weekly or bi weekly changes are enough. Once your tank is cycled your ammo level shouldn't move unless something causes a hiccup in your cycle/tank balance. They should remain at 0 with nitrite. Things of course can throw that off but typically it wouldn't move.

If you did fishless than you are going to of course want to do a big water change or two and get your nitrates into the safe zone(20 or less is ideal) and then add your fish. I'd still give it a couple days though before adding fish just to be sure that you are done. Sometimes readings can flop around a bit. Once you hit 0 ammo and nitrite for a few days running without needing water changes then I'd say you are good to go. Then it's just weekly water changes for regular maintenance.

Hi! It was a fish in cycle. And I am soooo thankful it finally happened! Can't believe it took 8 weeks! Thanks for the info. So I can add fish now? If the ammon. level goes up just do a 25% WC? Also, how many retrite snails do you recommend for a 20 g. tall tank, planted? I am just so darn excited! I have to call the fish store 50 miles away to order what I want to put in there now!! Have 8 tetra, and want to get 8 Endlers and 4 corys. Or would you just get a few more Endlers and the snails? Thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom