tank leaking. please help as i need to order my fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ky'smommy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hi. i just bought a used 80 gallon tank used tank (about 2-3 years old).
yes i bought it used from my dad so i trust that he didnt sell me a faulty tank. Hehe. We set it up and had it ready for about two weeks, everythings used. waters perfect and we have been waiting months and months for these fish.

Well i was supose to order some discus online with some other lady from near me since our stores suck, she has already ordered them and getting them delivered so its short notice
But i have to order them today.. If i fix it with aquarium silcone ? would that be ok for me still to get the fish on monday?
thanks for your help

Most silicone treatments require 24 to 48 hours to truely set, but the tanks should be empty and dry before applying it.

You need to drain the tank below the site of the leak and dry the area completely. As mentioned, silicone takes at least two days to completely cure. You can speed up the curing process and dissipate the acetic acid fumes by aiming a desk fan into the tank.

Is the tank cycled? Discus have little tolerance for poor water quality - you definitely don't want to cycle a tank with them in it.

Talk to your supplier and explain your leak emergency. Perhaps she will hold your fish for you until your tank is ready.

well if i apply it today it should be ready by sunday then?
Its only a little hole in the side and its on the top. Its not that bad but we dont want to take a chance with it getting worse.
so 48 hours would be sunday afternoon.
and we wont be getting the fish until monday late afternoon.
so i wouldnt think that would work. RIght?

A small leak at the top of the tank would seem ok.. lower the water level and make the repair, don't top it off till sunday.

Is this going to be your first tank?

no its not my first tank but my first discus tank.
Thebluyah i use discusforums.com mostly. its just all discus.
And right now we are getting some royal blues, red rio purus , and candy apple red.
so im very excited to have these fish. i will post some pictures once i recieve then.
thanks for all your help.
:)

Back
Top Bottom