Tank levelling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish2226

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I'm new here!

I have a stocked 60 litre biorb which is currently in the corner of my living room. It's been there just over a year. I just bought a new 94 litre for more fish and while I was getting it all set up I realised that it's important to make sure the tank is level, which is something I never really thought of before. After setting up the 94 litre I decided to take my spirit level and check the 60 litre. Unfortunately it's way off, using a tape measure the gap from the top of the tank to the water differs by just under an inch.

I have deduced that it's definitely my floor that is uneven, however the tank can only really be there because of access to sockets. Is there any chance this is going to be ok seeing as it's already been there a year with no problems? Or am I better off trying to skim it? It feels a bit like a ticking time bomb now!

For further info, it's on a specific biorb stand, so it has a solid circular base rather than feet.

Thanks in advance for any answers!

I may be wrong, but my understanding is that it's worse if the tank (like a rectangular one) is not on a level surface. Ie; one end is higher than the center, or one corner is higher. This causes the tank to torque and will definitely lead to failure. My house is old and most of my tanks are not perfectly level due to the floor. I do shim some if they are off bubble in the level half past the center line. (If that makes sense) I shim the stand at both corners tho, not the tank. That way my tank still sits flat on the stand (avoiding torquing) . Not sure if it's less of an issue with an orb or not

If your uncomfortable with it like it is, drain it down and level the stand. Def won't hurt as long as your careful and the aquarium is less than half full

I may be wrong, but my understanding is that it's worse if the tank (like a rectangular one) is not on a level surface. Ie; one end is higher than the center, or one corner is higher. This causes the tank to torque and will definitely lead to failure. My house is old and most of my tanks are not perfectly level due to the floor. I do shim some if they are off bubble in the level half past the center line. (If that makes sense) I shim the stand at both corners tho, not the tank. That way my tank still sits flat on the stand (avoiding torquing) . Not sure if it's less of an issue with an orb or not

I've personally had to use shims under the stands of. a few aquariums myself do to floor not being level. I totally agree with charliebankston.

Last edited:
I bought some wooden shims to level my 36G tank.
It's not heavy enough that I had to empty the tank before doing it (and im not particularly fit).
You definitely want it level.

We had a guy from the world aquarium in St. Louis to come out and rehome a beloved pacu. He was a story factory. Besides mentioning that he'd never rescued a pacu that looked as well as Alice, he mentioned a rescue in which the customers had a custom built 1000g tank. The tank was in the basement at the front edge of the house. After 5-years or so, the entire home had started to tilt forward. It wasn't fixable without GREAT expense. We're on a thick slap, but my 125g makes me wonder sometime.

BTW, my first post!

We had a guy from the world aquarium in St. Louis to come out and rehome a beloved pacu. He was a story factory. Besides mentioning that he'd never rescued a pacu that looked as well as Alice, he mentioned a rescue in which the customers had a custom built 1000g tank. The tank was in the basement at the front edge of the house. After 5-years or so, the entire home had started to tilt forward. It wasn't fixable without GREAT expense. We're on a thick slap, but my 125g makes me wonder sometime.

BTW, my first post!

YIKES!
I've thought about installing a 250Gal tank or so, but my house is 125 years old and nothing has a 90 degree angle anymore. It's a little risky. LOL

YIKES!
I've thought about installing a 250Gal tank or so, but my house is 125 years old and nothing has a 90 degree angle anymore. It's a little risky. LOL

Yup. I don't mind taking a chance now and again, but I couldn't justify a 4-TON tank. As amazing as Alice is and how much I miss her, she deserved to be in a massive tank with her own kind and under the care of professionals. 125-years on? That sounds like a great home to own.

Back
Top Bottom