Tank Lightstrip dosn't have a reflector.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

William

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just realized while working on m y 29gal tank this morning that it does not have a reflective surface of any kind behind the bulb :?

Its just a piece of molded white plastic..

Should I stick a piece of tinfoil behind the bulb or anything to act as a reflector and get more light down into my tank?

Hey William, we think alike LOL. I tried that on my light strip for a 29 also. It didn't work. I think because the foil tends to wrinkle. Then I tried painting the plastic with white reflective paint. Problem there was the plastic wouldn't accept the paint.

I seem to remember someone telling me they've used metal flashing (used in roofing) to make a reflector for a hood light. You can buy this at Home Depot and cut/bend it to suit your needs.

Cool. Something I have info about!

Foil and galvanized metal look like they would work well cause they are shiny, but they actually absorb a fair amount of light and absorb some spectrums more than others, often important ones for plants.

Plain flat white will actually give you the most light reflected back. Go look around a local hydroponics or indoor gardening shop and you will see that most light hoods will have plain white surfaces. Any shiny surfaces will be really 'brightly' shiny.

You can bet those guys are carefully herding every lumen they can. Can't blame them, considering the cost of electricity.

Back
Top Bottom