Tank looking rather dull, snazzy fish ideas - need some help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaarus

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My Tank:
125 litre
( 28 UK Gallon )
( 33 US Gallon )

Current Stock:
2x Julii Corys
2x Peppered Corys
1x Molly
1x Molly fry
10x Neons

I really want something snazzy in the tank… something with interesting colouring.

I really like:
German Blue Rams
Dwarf Gourami’s
Kribensis

Would these get on with each other? Or with the fish I already have?
What would you suggest? Any other ‘cool’ fish?

I could return some of my current stock to my LFS if necessary.

Kribs may be too aggressive. German rams would be better suited. If you opt for the dwarf gouramis, best with a single male or get a pair. Females may be hard to find. They don't sell as well being they are just a silver gray color. Other ideas would be...

Neon dwarf rainbows are really nice and flashy and swim out in the open. Larger tetras like bleeding hearts, diamonds, red serpaes, black phantoms (never house with red serpaes...black phantoms will tear their fins to absolute shreds), congos, emperors, etc. are nice fish. Best populated in pairs. Most of these tetras, though may loosely school, do keep a distance from each other and hang mostly in pairs. Red serpaes and congos do tightly school and should be populated in groups of three or more. Congos get large (4" or so). Out of that list of tetras above, I like the diamond tetras. The juveniles don't look like much, but when they mature they literally look like a piece of swimming diamond cut jewlery. Really pretty with an adult color of a shimmy silver/gold. Beautiful fish and would 'break' the color of the neons nicely. Just my opinion :)

Other little fish in mind are pencils and killifish, though many killifish are short lived and rather expensive. They are very colorful. Furcata rainbows have interesting finnage. Celebese halfbeaks make for a bizarre addition. They're like mini gars with short beaked upturned mouths.

Oh...long finned rosey barbs are snazzy looking fish. The males are red, females are more browner copperish like...sometimes orange yellowish. Just not bright red like the males. Very hardy fish.

Another option would be to add a school of another small schooling tetra that are different colors than the neons like rummynoses, glo lites, or black neons.

wow now that is a reply!

I saw Rams again at lunchtime :)
They are what I want

How many should I get?
1 / pair / group?

stock quality is high but quality of advice in that shop is 'varied'!

I'd go for just a pair. German blues can obtain a size of up to 5", so keep that in mind. They'll grow nicley and comfortably in that size tank without the stresses of more cichlids nearby. It also allows for more space available for perhaps another neat fish you may want later.

Back
Top Bottom