Tank mate suggestions for 46 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

46GFreshwater

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello I have a 46 gallon freshwater tank with artificial plants. It is a heated tank with a HOB filter (Marineland Penguin 350).

Current occupants are one bristlenose pleco and 9 zebra danios. We used to have some dwarf gouramis as well but they were sickly and never lasted very long.

I am thinking of adding some more danios to the school and adding an apple snail or mystery snail to help with the algae (the pleco isn't keeping up with all of it).

I would like some suggestions on other types of fish to add. I was thinking of a centerpiece fish or a group of fish that won't try to eat the danios.

AquStockImage.png AqAdvisor stats

Research Buenos Aires Tetras and Tiger Barbs. Neither of these schooling fish will hurt your Danios. I've kept both species. The Buenos Aires will swim tirelessly in a tight school, while the Tigers will constantly chase each other. Including a small school of either or both will create a very active tank.

Research Buenos Aires Tetras and Tiger Barbs. Neither of these schooling fish will hurt your Danios. I've kept both species. The Buenos Aires will swim tirelessly in a tight school, while the Tigers will constantly chase each other. Including a small school of either or both will create a very active tank.
Thanks for your suggestions! I like the idea of adding another species of schooling fish!

Hi if your buying from a pet store then you are limited to what they have in stock. But if you order offline like ebay or something, you can find so great deals or rare and centrepiece fish like kribensis, or maybe some shrimp to keep control of the algae, red cherry are cheap and easy to keep. Also they can breed like crazy in the right conditions!!

Hi if your buying from a pet store then you are limited to what they have in stock. But if you order offline like ebay or something, you can find so great deals or rare and centrepiece fish like kribensis, or maybe some shrimp to keep control of the algae, red cherry are cheap and easy to keep. Also they can breed like crazy in the right conditions!!
Cool! Thanks for your suggestions! I've never had any shrimp before. That kribensis is beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom