tank mates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travis55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have 15 feeder gold fish, 2 balas, to red fins,2 irridesents and 2 tiger barbs. All in a 55 gallon tank. I was gonna get 50-100 dirt cheap guppies but the guy said my fish are too aggressive... I thought my fish were non-semi aggressive? Thanksfor the advice

Travis55 said:
23 small fish in a 55 gallon tank is way overstocked?

Those sharks won't stay small for long. Some will get one to two feet long. And goldfish are a huge load.

It's not about the number of fish in your tank. It's about the species you have and what those particular species requirements are.

For example, you should never have two red fin sharks together (I have to presume you mean sharks). Each shark will require a minimum of 55-75 gallons due to their aggression level. And yes, the sharks will eat the guppies and probably the feeders.

Feeders are know for being in horrible health, as they are not really meant to live basically. You're better off having a separate tank and raising your own feeders, if necessary.

Tiger barbs are aggressive and you should have a large school of them to curb the aggression. Guppies would not stand a chance.

Bala sharks require groups of 5 or more, as do the irridescents.

Did you research any of these species prior to purchase or did you just get really bad advice from your lfs?

Yes your tank is overstocked. Bala sharks get very big. Tiger barbs should be kept in schools of at least 5. Goldfish have a large bioload. As well don't they prefer colder water? Whereas tigers are a warm water tropical fish. I would get rid of all the gold fish and get more tiger barbs ( like 8 more...not all added at the same time though). Tigers are very cool in a big school, they swim together and can be very entertaining. I would consider taking the Balas back too as they will outgrow your tank.

Feeder goldfish are usually common goldfish, which can get over a foot easily. They are all small in the store because they don't usually live long (at least in those conditions), and are utilized as feeders while they are still small.

So I'm off to a terrible start... my buddies feeders are 5" long. Ill give him the bala sharks and feeders. If iget more tiger barbs will they be ok with guppies?

No, the barbs will most likely attack the guppies.

You really should rehome everything but the barbs and then stock around that species.

Some people have issues with tiger barbs and tankmates and others do fine with them. I wouldn't stock that many guppies unless you are going to do something with them, though. They explode in population pretty easily, which is probably why your friend has so many to get rid of.

Tiger barbs are bad fin nippers. Usually it's not recommended to keep them with anything that has long flowing fins. But I have a small school kept with long finned danios which are very fast and have not had problems with nippy tigers. I think they enjoy taunting them! I have watched them swim slowly up to the tiger school and them dart through them but the tigers aren't able to catch them. I'm got sure if guppies are as fast, maybe someone else could tell you.

IMO and experience with tiger barbs if you have a big enough school they will stick to themselves. That's why I recommend having 10. They will create their own pecking order and only "fight" one another.

A buddy of mine breeds african cichlids and will sell them to me for $3 each. I think I'm gonna just switch to them.... will any of my sharks or barbs survive?
thanks
travis

Travis55 said:
A buddy of mine breeds african cichlids and will sell them to me for $3 each. I think I'm gonna just switch to them.... will any of my sharks or barbs survive?
thanks
travis

IDK I've had parrot cichilids and tiger barbs together. Never had a bala due to how big they get. I would still recommend a few more tiger barbs.

thanks
travis

Your tank is not suitable for any of the shark species that you want. Sorry. :(

Your tank is not suitable for any of the shark species that you want. Sorry. :(

They should really tell people they need a swimming pool to own sharks. Lol I guess my biggest question is will the cichlids kill the sharks? I want a bigger tank in my near future. Will the sharks survive?

I don't think they will. However there's always a chance, if the sharks are bigger than they will be fine.

Just how large of a tank are you considering upgrading to, and what exactly is "near future"?

The best laid plans about getting a larger tank quite often don't come to fruition. Sometimes life gets in the way.

Back
Top Bottom