Tank Mates for Black Ghost Knife

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

__John__

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 75 Gallon tank cycled and ready to go and I am set on getting BGK. I have a few ideas as to what I will put in with him but I'm curious to hear other suggestions or advice on tank mates.

The best tank mate I can suggest is a bigger tank

I know a bit and I know BGKs need bigger tanks than 75G. In terms of tank mates avoid smaller fish like cories and tetras as they are predatory and if they can't eat the fish they'll happily eat their eyes. Also avoid heavy stocking if possible as they are very sensitive to nitrAtes and any missed water change can quickly prove lethal. They're beautiful fish and they are quite easy to train to hand feed.

Are African brown knifes a better choice for a tank that size? They're a bit smaller I think.

I know a bit and I know BGKs need bigger tanks than 75G. In terms of tank mates avoid smaller fish like cories and tetras as they are predatory and if they can't eat the fish they'll happily eat their eyes. Also avoid heavy stocking if possible as they are very sensitive to nitrAtes and any missed water change can quickly prove lethal. They're beautiful fish and they are quite easy to train to hand feed.

Also what species are compatible with knife fish? That was my original question and it still hasn't be answered. Any info is appreciated.

I have angles, a leaf fish, African cat, and a rainbow shark all in the same tank for about a year and they all seem to be fine with the bgk. The shark did butt heads with it but once the bgk became a little bit bigger the shark leaves him alone... Also before anyone bashes me for having a bgk, I plan on selling the bgk in about 4-5 years time, from the rate that he is growing now, he won't be his full size

Also what species are compatible with knife fish? That was my original question and it still hasn't be answered. Any info is appreciated.

Brown knifes are a much better choice.

I can't give you a list of compatible fish, just look for larger fish than cories/tetras. Gourami, angelfish, sharks, plecos etc.

I have angles, a leaf fish, African cat, and a rainbow shark all in the same tank for about a year and they all seem to be fine with the bgk. The shark did butt heads with it but once the bgk became a little bit bigger the shark leaves him alone... Also before anyone bashes me for having a bgk, I plan on selling the bgk in about 4-5 years time, from the rate that he is growing now, he won't be his full size

How big is your tank?

Also I have 800 GPH of filtration cause I have briefly done cichlids in the tank but I'm moving in a semi-aggressive community direction now.

1 brown knife

10-15 tiger barbs

1 red tail shark

1 synodontis (not sure which species yet)

1 Senegal Bichir (I'd really like to add one of these into the mix, I've heard mixed information though)

It's a 55 but like I said I'll be getting rid of him when he is bigger right now he is about 4-5 inches and I got him about a year ago

Also my bgk only stays in one spot the whole day and some of the night. It's alittle slit in the drift wood

image-3622128510.jpg

Have a 75 g tank with a brown knife fish Community tank and won't hurt anybody. Panda Cory's share his cave with him. Only problem is he is slow to go after food and my greedy zebra loaches and tiger barbs get to food so fast. So I feed him frozen blood worms with a turkey baster. Second he sees the baster he goes crazy and will put his mouth over it. Awesome fish I would highly recommend

Back
Top Bottom