Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-06-2004, 05:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Tank Mates For Blue Gouramis

I have a 29 gallon with 3 blue gouramis in it i reently purchased 2 slightly smaller golden gouramis and they were dead the next morning, they had bite marks all over them. What are some fish options for tank mates of my blue gouramis?

Old 07-06-2004, 05:14 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Are you sure the blue gouramis killed them, or that they died and the blue gouramis made a snack of them?

You could try the pink kissing gourami, perhaps some rainbowfish (not really small), a school of tiger barbs, and I'm sure there are more you could add

Good luck.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 12:31 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Whatever happened, maybe 5 gouramis in a 29 gallon might be a bit much? They are very territorial. I only have 1 in my 38 and he seems to be fine in there, but he still chases the other fish around. I have 4 green swordtails that he chases around right after feeding time, but the swordtails are all still alive and well (I don't think he could catch them even if he wanted to). I may pull the swordtails out some day, I don't think that its the best combo.

I second the tiger barbs. Those are some pretty spirited guys. I think yo-yo loaches would be a fine choice as well. My blue gourami only attempted to mess with them once, and they let him know they wouldn't take it. Now he ignores them completely. My blue gourami never bothers my pleco, but occasionally will chase an oto for a bit.

Sorry if this is incoherent, I am tired!
Paul

46 Gallon (Saltwater): 60 pounds Lalo Live Rock, 60 pounds aragonite sand, 1 Coral Beauty Angelfish, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, 1 Mushroom Coral, 1 Emerald Crab, various snails and hermit crabs.

10 Gallon (Saltwater quarantine):
pkremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 01:12 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to lyquidphyre
Thats waaaaaaaaay too many gouramis in a 29. Three gourami's would be pushing it. I would go for a community fish that can hold their own- like tiger barbs. Blue gouramis seem to be very aggressive. I wouldn't suggest kissing gouramis because they behave just the same. Keep what you have now and no more gouramis just because they are so agressive.

lyquidphyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 11:21 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to liquidelusion
i have 2 gouramis in a 29gal and i wouldnt put more than that in there. even with just these two they chase each other around when the other gets to close, they seem pretty aggressive
1 bunch of some sort of crypts
2 powder blue gouramis
1 calico angel juvi
4 zebra danios
4 harlequin rasporas
4 fancy guppies (2 male - blue and red, and 2 female)
1 common pleco
--------------------------
2 juvenile unsexed Eublepharis macularius in a 20 long
liquidelusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 11:28 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to liquidelusion
i have 2 gouramis in a 29gal and i wouldnt put more than that in there. even with just these two they chase each other around when the other gets to close, they seem pretty aggressive
1 bunch of some sort of crypts
2 powder blue gouramis
1 calico angel juvi
4 zebra danios
4 harlequin rasporas
4 fancy guppies (2 male - blue and red, and 2 female)
1 common pleco
--------------------------
2 juvenile unsexed Eublepharis macularius in a 20 long
liquidelusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 05:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

My single gourami gets along fine with his fellow tanks mates: Bleeding Heart Tetras, Wag Tail Platy's, Ghost Shrimp, and Danio's. Never been an issue...ever.

Males gourami's are territorial, so maybe a female? Not sure if that would cause more or less problems. Females are generally duller in color.

4 - Leopard Danio's
3 - Bleeding Heart Tetra's
1 - Serpae Tetra
1 - Red Wag Platy
2 - Fancy Male Guppies
1 - Ghost Shrimp
jaysono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 06:11 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Netti Send a message via Yahoo to Netti
I've had two blue Gourami's and one harrassed the other CONSTANTLY as soon as they were put into the tank! The one who was constantly harrassed went from silverish-blue to midnight blue and died the next morning. The other died later on. Almost 5 dollars down the drain.
2 Black Skirt Tetras
1 Pleco (5-6 inches. He's not growing. I think the size of my tank is stunting his growth. He's very intelligent...it doesn't matter where u drop his algae wafers, he brings them all to ONE spot and he knows the whole tank by heart yet has no eyes.)
Netti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 02:10 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Netti, here is an interesting quote I found when doing my research when I bought my blue gourami:

Quote:
They generally mix well with most other fish of a similar or even slightly smaller size. However, if you keep only two of them, one will often dominate the other, sometimes to death. Keeping 3 or 4 seems to lessen the risk of this bullying.
That would probably explain your bad experience... I chose to only have 1, and I like it this way....besides, 3 blue gouramis in a 38 is probably a bit much!

Paul

PS - It is interesting that he turned to that dark blue as a sign of stress. When I took my blue gourami from QT into the 38, the next day he was this absolutely fabulously dark blue. I thought it was wonderful! I thought maybe since he was in a well-cycled aquarium now, he was displaying his full colors, but over time, he became a lighter silvery blue. Then, when I removed a bio-wheel to help cycle a tank, a few days later he started to turn that dark blue again. Do a water test, and the ammonia had come up a bit. It's too bad that the beautiful blue color doesn't seem to be good for them? Or does anyone with more experience think I am off base in this assumption?

46 Gallon (Saltwater): 60 pounds Lalo Live Rock, 60 pounds aragonite sand, 1 Coral Beauty Angelfish, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, 1 Mushroom Coral, 1 Emerald Crab, various snails and hermit crabs.

10 Gallon (Saltwater quarantine):
pkremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 02:14 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to madasafish
Gouramis generally attack fish that look like themselves. They're most violent to other fish of their same species (conspecifics). Fish that are smaller, with a differently-shaped body will almost certainly be left alone, or seldom bothered. Neon tetras, rasboras, danios, for example, should all be fine. Bottom dwellers such as cories, plecos, loaches, should all be fine, also.

Tags
blue gourami, gourami, gouramis, tan, tank mates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com